Holland 5/17 AM - Steelheader's Tourney

I had a great time at the Steelheaders Challenge Tournament this morning, despite a relative lack of success with the fishing. Thanks to all the sponsors who made it possible. :clapping:

Took 3 hits on 3 color early in 70 fow. Lost the first two and after the third hit not only lost the fish but the 3 color, the DW UV Jagerbomb, and the planer board.

Had a bit of a lull but around 10:30 began taking and keeping a few more fish. Lake trout on rigger 50 down in 77 fow on mag Lemonberry. King on dipsey with UV spindoctor with Big Weenie Last Brunch fly back 90' and set on 3 in 80 fow. Last fish was a King on 7 color with DW UV Wonderbread spoon in 85 fow.

Had hits trolling south, north and west and they seemed to like it slower today 1.9 - 2.3 at the ball. Water temps in that area 44 - 42 on the surface and pretty much a uniform 42 degrees 50 feet down.

Hey Dr Hook,

I wish that my plans did not change ,but had to miss out.

I did see a lot of boats head out in the am thanks to morning weather on news ch 3.

However, do you think that the other boats did about the same, and some extra info on the winning boxes - which were how big?

I didn't get to see a lot of boxes, but most weighed their 5 fish. Winning box was ~ 62 lbs. One box was 2.5 lbs. Eventually most of the results should be posted on the Holland Steelheaders website.

We struggled as well. Foolishly following a report of lots and big fish south. Pre fishing Friday morning revealed a location much closer to holland. Saturday morning comes and the jitters got the best of us and we "left fish to find fish" a rule we should never break. We followed the pack south and eliminated a lot of water and changed a lot of baits.. Manage to scratch out 5/7 small kings and lakers. In a Hail Mary attemp we ran back to holland and set up shop in Fridays pre fished location. Picked up a 5# steelie immediately followed by a double on kings 8# and 15# we continued to grind on area and got one more steel.. Really makes me wonder how we woulda done had we started and stayed in holland. But that's fishing and it was an absolute blast with beautiful weather. Was nice to see a great bunch of anglers gather for a great time on the water. Our box was 38lbd I think

we went south to Saugy and set up trolling south in 40 to 60fow. we were into fish all day and ended up 15 for 20. 80% of our hits came between 3.0 and 3.3 on the surface and 2.7 to 2.9 below. 175 copper with mag mixed veggie uv went at least 6 times. Ended with 3 fish just before 12:00 13 miles south of Holland

OK thanks for that report sounds like the Spring Kings were there and maybe a bit to the North. Perhaps even a bit more of a spoon bite that anything else. We fished it last up Port Sheldon in 90 -100 fow and meat was key with kings ranging around the 18 lb. mark for a heavy box too.

Anyone know what the winners did and how the found there fish? I always like the info especially in tounaments like this where fish scatter and forces teams to think on their feet and make split second decisions with huge gambles

Well I ended in second and after a few calls I decided to run from halfway creek to the Grand Haven mud. Caught one fish then fished an hour and a half without a bite in front of Holland. Made the call to make the run and it paid off. We caught 5 fish Saturday and they all just happened to be the right fish (4 in the Grand Haven Mud). It wasn't on fire like we hoped but we got the fish we needed up there. It's always tough to make a call to take your lines out of the water and run but I've done it once before and it paid off so I figured I would go for it again.

It was shake down trip and we just went out to have a good time. Headed south and set up halfway between Holland and Saugatuck in 45 fow. Best was half core with orange tuxedo which took a couple and Hot Lobster on rigger 35 down took a couple. Things slowed a bit and we worked out a little deeper to 60 - 70 fow and 150 copper and full core started working. Uv lemonberry took a couple on the copper and orange tuxedo continued to work well. North troll was better than south. ended with 12 and our 5 was just over 62 pounds. Good shake down trip. Great event. Had fun.

Just a shout out to say thanks to Dan from Goldcoast Outfitters who brought the above mentioned planer board back to my office today. Makes me glad I spent money at his store this past weekend.:thumb: