Snap weights

Snap weights

I want to spool up A 5 core rig for running off boards and I would like to have the ability to get a 25-50 foot range I believe a half core will get me 20-25 feet down, everyone talks about adding a snap weight to get it down further, so I checked them out at the store and as always there are different types, there are the ones that are tied inline and the type that clip on with what looks like an offshore tackle release what would you recommend and where do you place them in the rigging.

Tight Lines,

Wild Season

I would buy a 6oz torpedo diver and attach just after your 5 colors are out. Then let out required amount of line to achieve your desired depth.

Use a pinch pad with a center pin to attach to your line.:thumb:

I use and offshore red clip with the pin and off a 3 way swivel tie a couple inches of heavy mono and a snap swivel. If somehow your red release lets go you have a backup in the swivel and your not down 15 to 20 bucks.

Let out your 5 color then clip on the 6 oz torpedo and let out another 100 feet or so of line and you will basically double your depth. Its a great way for a small boat or small budget guy to maximize rods and be able to fish many sytles with one rod. I love snapweights. Extremely versatile.

I also use the Stinger Dive bombs, but the torpedos look like they would work just as well. The dive bombs produce a little water disturbance which may be an attractant whereas the torpedos slip through the water.

I use the Stinger Dive Bombs more than snap weights, they seem more effective to me. But same concept.

Ditto that, but be sure you don't over tighten the dive bomb on your backing, they have rather sharp edges and can cut your backer if you get them over tightened, I speak from experience and I am a fast learner. Only happened once when I first started using them about 4 years ago. The nice thing is you can reel in the backer and get the bomb out of the way then fight your fish with out swivels or connectors getting in the way.

Ditto that, but be sure you don't over tighten the dive bomb on your backing, they have rather sharp edges and can cut your backer if you get them over tightened, I speak from experience and I am a fast learner. Only happened once when I first started using them about 4 years ago. The nice thing is you can reel in the backer and get the bomb out of the way then fight your fish with out swivels or connectors getting in the way.

img_1658.jpg

This is how I do it.:thumb:

Dive Bomb OR-16 Style!

In place of the red or16 I use these : ThePinClip.com ..they are more user friendly a couple of ways for old fingers and have a brass pin thats a little longer and easier to see if you have your line around it.