transom rebuild

I know you can get it at Michigan Lumber and Truss and also I believe Lowes or Home may also carry it in some areas. For the aluminum boat be sure it is the CCA Aluminum safe plywood. Got mine for $80/sheet for my project boat.

newtransom.jpg

This pic was the test fitting and final sanding before finish cutting out outdrive hole and epoxy.

Lots of people don't use marine ply. They use Auruco ply that menards sells($40). You should be able to use 1 sheet 3/4 inches thick and cut it to shape. Glue & screw it together to get an inch and a half thickness(you remove the screws after it dries) & then use a couple coats of 2 part epoxy(west system is the most popular) and seal the entire thing. If any of it is exposed to sunlight you will need to paint it also. Some people don't use epoxy and they use 4-5 coats of spar varnish. When you go to put the bolts & fittings through just make sure you seal it up good with plenty of 3m 5200.

The last Aluminum boat transom I did was built with rough sawed Oak That was glued and doweled together. We used a planer to get to close to 1 and 1/2 thickness before gluing. If you wanted it pretty you could rent a floor sander and run it over the whole thing after you get it glued together. I also agree with not spending the extra money on Marine plywood.

I did the transom in my 16.5 Sea nymph this past fall. I used MDO (sign board).

I glued it together with Tightbond 3 waterproof glue, and then gave it 3 coats of glass.

Use the 3m calk to seal all the penetrations.

Edited by Nailer

These guys all have great ideas. I've never done a transom, so can't speak from experience. But, I would guess that the new plastic wood that never rots might also enhance the end result so it never rots again. Costs more but worth it. Can't say how thick they make it, but laminating with dowels like Jimmy said always works well.