2011 F350 Superduty

N II Deep

ok all.

my old but trusty SUV is just starting to wear on me and show it's Michigan age.

so I went and test drove a 2011 F350 Superduty extended cab it has 28K for miles.

was a real nice truck, the ride was nowhere near as nice as the old Expedtion, but it is a 1 ton truck.

it has the 6.2L gas engine in it. Tranny shifted very smooth.

any one else driving one of these,

what do you get for gas mielage? (I know its a 1 ton truck)

lets hear pro's vs con's

So far here are mine.

Pro's

stronger towing power

every thing works.

insurance cost - could not belive that its only $50/six months different than PLPD on the 14 year old SUV.

Con's

price (have not had a truck payment for last 6 years+)

6.2L don't know much about this motor - only a 2-3 year old design

Ride quality - I don't see us using it to travel on vacation.

(if any one's in the market for a 98' Ford Expedition shoot me a pm)

I traded my F250 diesel in for a 09 F150 lost a bunch of towing power but gained a nice ride and better mileage. With the 5.4 I am avg 16 around town and have been at 19 on the highway. Mine is rated for 9600 towing I don't see me hooking to anything heavier than that in the near future. You will be better off selling the Expedition than trading it. Best offer I could get for my diesel was 2500 bucks. We have a 08 F350 Lariat for 29k at work 4X4 Diesel was boss's personal truck non smoker. I was down to a very low mileage 07 F150 and this 09 with more miles on it the 09 drives way better and gets better mileage. Now I need the front leveling kit installed so it sits level. Then a tuner and who knows from there it's a addiction LOL.

Thanks Jim for your feedback,

I know I don't want a diesel. I plan on selling the Expedition and trading in my little car the Fusion.

Even selling the Expedition out right I will not get what it is worth. the motor has less than 90k on it. the 5.4L does ok for pulling.

this f350 I'm looking at is a workhorse and the ride was very rough compared to the Expedition. right now it is more of a "want" instead of a need.

A lot of people wondered why I had a F 250 Diesel 2 wheel drive. The reason was simple much higher tow rating and much nicer ride. I lived in east TX when I bought it so 4X4 was not needed. From F 250 to F 550 the GCVW for a diesel with the tow package is the same. So for towing all I could get was a heavier truck which meant it would tow less. My truck was setup to haul cattle and spent the 1st 2 years of it's life with a 35ft goose neck cattle trailer hooked to it. I put 150k on it in 11 years of daily driving with no out of pocket repairs other than tires brakes and oil changes so I can't complain it never went below 15mpg no matter what I was towing. Towing Mark's old boat Just Hookin back from the Brown Blast Mark asked me to slow down as his boat had never been at 80 mph before LOL. For my truck it was a light load and a nice cruise with the 26ft boat behind us. Oops I just remembered I did replace the alternator 4 years ago and the belts and batteries but again for 11 years of use that is all pretty much normal maintenance.

Rolling in an 09 F350 diesel 4x4 super cab long box as my daily ride. Sales job driving 70k+ miles per year. Suit & tie stuff. Just rolled 200k miles with no major issues. Rides... Like a truck. Tows anything and everything. 16k lb 28ft boat no prob. Gets 16 mpg daily 20 hwy. 5th diesel truck in a row. Used to make sense when gas was comparable. My next one will be gas. Cheaper to run & maintain.

That's why I got a F150 I can borrow a big truck from work if I need one. The other thing is the new electronics are cool built in brake control for towing and SYNC. Phone is on Bluetooth and Ipod is hooked to the USB push the button and tell it what I want. Now if it just would listen and get it right nothing better than asking for Judas Priest and getting Johnny Cash.

I have a 2010 F-150 with the 6.2L(411hp) in it, and love it. My right foot is abnormally large and has a tendancy to PUSH on the petal. :D I average 12.5mpg with it. We raced in Lansing one week, and I hauled our 20' trailer with it(trailer brakes are nice), and we averaged 8.5mpg. <---I had the cruise set at 80mph. We road tripped it to Traverse City(no trailer), and I set the cruise at 65mph and we topped 17mpg with it. The mpg all depends on how hard you push on the go fast pedal.

2010-10-06_17-41-33_703.jpg

2010-10-05_17-43-44_252.jpg

2010-10-05_17-44-29_877.jpg

The pictures in the yard are the closest thing to offroad my truck has seen, and it has never seen a snow flake. It gets stored all winter.

Cons:

Years ago, we had an expedition. This is our second truck after the expedition, and I still miss the enclosed rear cargo. I could add a cap or a cover for the back of the truck, but thats not my thing, plus its not heated.

Takes 8 quarts of synthetic oil for oil changes.

It does run on 87 octane, but mine runs better 93 octane.

Because its a new motor, after market accesories/hop ups are more expensive.

Looks like a nice truck Jon. Have to ask yourself.....will you miss the inside room you had in the expedition?

Do you really need an F-350, or can you get away with a F-150 or F-250? Need to also check on the cost of insurance and plates.

I have a company dually with a 6.2. Excellent hauler but i am really glad it company gas. I only get 9 in the city and 12_14 highway. Funny but hauli.g doesn't affect the mil.e

Overall the best truck i have ever drove

jon you cant go wrong going bigger than you need. my chevy has the big 6.3l gas engine before the upgrades for more towing and pushing power i was getting 17-19 highway. for plates go get special farm plates 20 bucks a year but the down side to that is they dont quailfy for the passport parking.

Champ is right all you get with a 350 over a 250 is a heavier truck and stiffer ride. Brakes drive line and towing is pretty much the same. In many applications you gain towing other than 5th wheel and Goose neck and the only gains there are if you get a dually you can bridge more weight on the rear axle. Unless you hauling construction equipment for a living you gain nothing with a 350.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought the F350, went and test drove the new F150 with the new turbo v6, nice truck, but the used F350 was just a better deal, I still have the Expedition that I will keep as a winter beater for now, may sell it off in the spring to get a small car for daily driver.

I really just liked the BIG truck. and this truck is just a beast.