which fish finder/chartplotter do I keep

I am in a very lucky position to be able to choose between two very nice fish finders. My two options are a Lowrance HDS8 and a Humminbird 1158 cdi combo with down imaging. Most of my fishing will be on Lake Michigan for Salmon but I also spend many hours fishing Lake St. Clair as well as Saginaw Bay for Walleye and Perch. I will mount this unit on a 22 ft Sea Ray without a top so viewing in the bright sun is important. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I don't know they are nice units, but I have a lorance 5200 chartploter and you can ajust the contrast so you can see it in the sun light I use my 5200 on the snowmobile in the winter when we are ice fishing for eyes on the sag. bay, is them units color or Black an white? the color is a lot easyier to see I think. Good luck with your choice:thumb:

I love my HDS5. If the 8 is anything like that you are all set. Also, you can hook radar up (if that is ever a consideration for you) to the lowrance units. not sure about the hummingbird. May have the samea capability. Just pointing out what I like about my HDS.

I have a Humminbird on our boat so I am going to be a bit partial for them, but we have been very happy with ours. Since Humminbird came out with Radar both units are pretty comparable features, but for me if I had to choose between a 8" and a 10" screen I would go with the 10 every time. The down imaging may also be helpful while perch or walleye fishing. We have not had a problem viewing ours on bright days and I doubt that would be an issue with either model.