Deep Fried Salmon Bites

westwind

By far the most requested salmon I make. Cut up salmon into small 1 inch pieces and then shake them up in a bag with Drakes seasoning until coated good. I will usually put some italian dressing on the fish before shaking in the bag with Drakes to add some flavor and helps the Drakes stick.

Deep fry for about 5 minutes and serve. People who say they don't like fish will love this. Make sure the cooking oil is very hot, should old take about 5 minutes per batch.

You could also try ranch or caesar dressing instead of italian, but I think it's all good. Esp. when people say they hate all or a certain species of fish, like Lakers, fool someone you know sometime, and see what they say afterwards, it's funny. P.S. I also like to cut the fish into finger shaped pieces instead of usual nuggets, but both work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The Italian dressing marinade sounds good, never thought of using it on salmon. Have used it many times with venison though. We usually do our salmon in similar fashion, soak in milk, then dip in beaten eggs, then seasoning of choice and deep fry. M'm sounds good, might have to set out some salmon to thaw for dinner!

Thanks for tip!

Best great lakes fish I ever ate was a 7 lb laker, never frozen, straight to the grill with a tiny touch of butter, some cajun seasoning and some lemons.

I think have the secret is getting them cleaned up real good before your freeze...bleed them out like walleyes buy cutting the gills if you can.

Also to save money on ice, bring 2 milk jugs frozen the night before. It will keep the core tempurate down in your livewell(if you dont bring a cooler, i dont have room for anymore junk) and the fish much fresher.

I big fish you caught at 4 am, sitting in bath water of a life well til 10 will look night and day different than one you caught 10 minutes before you shut it down for the day.

• 1 year later...

I started doing this "salmon nugets" thing after we experienced it a few years back at a steelheaders meeting....my kid would not eat salmon off the grill with my wife and I...he'sa sucker for "nugets" so when they had these at the meeting I figured what the heck...he ate them like they were the only food he'd eaten all week...since then I try to cut up the big fish we get after the pin bones end (tail section) into 1"x1" chunks...works awesome.

You all should try "Bronco Bobs" redraseberry chipotle marinade , oh my god this stuff is heaven on some fresh kings matter of fact I show my king the marinade just as I toss them in the cooler.. Hahahaha they're happy to get in that box!!!!!

• 9 months later...