Linking GPS to Marine Radio

flyman013

This past year I upgraded my Sonar/GPS and Marine Radio. I found out that you can hook up the marine radio to a GPS antenna and it can send the Coast Guard your coordinates if you ever need them when you call on the distress channel. Sounds like a good idea to me if I can figure out how to connect the GPS from my sonar to the raido. Anyone ever done this before? I have a Humminbird 788ci sonar and a Cobra marine radio (fixed mount, not a handheld one). Any advice would be great.

I also upgraded marine radios a few years ago with the same technology you speak of. Not trying to be smart, there are directions in my manual instructing how to hook it up to utilize this function.

I also upgraded marine radios a few years ago with the same technology you speak of. Not trying to be smart, there are directions in my manual instructing how to hook it up to utilize this function.

I found the directions for the radio part. It is just getting from the sonar to the radio I am getting hung up on. I think I need a special cable.

I dont believe the internal gps unit come standard with a nmea 0183 pigtail like the external gps units do. So for your Humminbird you will need the as hhgps kit. Your. Cobra radio should have the nmea 0183 wires hanging out the back. You will need to identify them with your owners manual. Once you get all the wires identified you will need to hook the Humminbird nmea 0183 + out also called talk to the nmea 0183 + in also called listen on your cobra radio. Also the corresponding ground wire too. To gain full dsc capability you will need to obtain a mmsi number online and program that into your radio.

Tip: Those nmea wires are probably some of the smallest wires you will ever work with there's only 1 easy and effective way to connect those wires. That is using yellow scotch lock connectors. They are gel filled and do not require and stripping of that tiny wire and you can find them at most home improment stores like lowes or home depot.

I dont believe the internal gps unit come standard with a nmea 0183 pigtail like the external gps units do. So for your Humminbird you will need the as hhgps kit. Your. Cobra radio should have the nmea 0183 wires hanging out the back. You will need to identify them with your owners manual. Once you get all the wires identified you will need to hook the Humminbird nmea 0183 + out also called talk to the nmea 0183 + in also called listen on your cobra radio. Also the corresponding ground wire too. To gain full dsc capability you will need to obtain a mmsi number online and program that into your radio.

Tip: Those nmea wires are probably some of the smallest wires you will ever work with there's only 1 easy and effective way to connect those wires. That is using yellow scotch lock connectors. They are gel filled and do not require and stripping of that tiny wire and you can find them at most home improment stores like lowes or home depot.

Thanks Ryan. I thought I needed a special cable of some sort. I'll look for those connectors too.

• 3 weeks later...

THANKS RYAN/HONDAM

NICE TO HAHE A NMEA CERTIFIED INSTALLER HERE THAT HELPS WITH THESE SORT OF

QUESTIONS

DONT JUST MATCH THE COLORS OF WIRES

THAT DONT WORK !

this can and has damaged equipment

i know becuase i messed up some expensive stuff myself doing it that way

THANKS RYAN/HONDAM

NICE TO HAHE A NMEA CERTIFIED INSTALLER HERE THAT HELPS WITH THESE SORT OF

QUESTIONS

DONT JUST MATCH THE COLORS OF WIRES

THAT DONT WORK !

this can and has damaged equipment

i know becuase i messed up some expensive stuff myself doing it that way

hey prop nut

if he brought the boat into your shop, could you hook it up for him??

sherman

hey prop nut

if he brought the boat into your shop, could you hook it up for him??

sherman

quite sure it would not be a problem what so ever

technology like this when available should not go unused it drastically reduces the response time or any rescue effort

also remember if the gps unit is not ON or it gets a poor/intermittent signal the radio can not send your coordinates

HAPPY HOLIDAYS