Big bay de Noc fishing report 2-19-20, 2011

Ashman

Just got home from Big Bay de Noc, spent Saturday and Sunday fishing on Kates Bay which is a part of Big Bay de Noc, on the Garden Peninsula. Stayed with my friend Bruce who is a resident there. I lived 22 years on the garden Peninsula and this was like going back home.

I'm on the left, Bruce on the right.

012-1.jpg

First day we fished out of my fish trap portable, another friend (Mike) offered the use of his shanty but the high winds the previous night flipped it on its side and froze down. Mike got it flipped upright and we were able to use it the second day.

We got things set up and I caught 2 keeper perch right off the bat, then Bruce caught a burbot.

018.jpg

I caught a couple more keeper perch and then I caught a burbot.

019.jpg

I don't know how many of you eat burbot, but we do. We call it poor man's lobster. Boil it after cutting into bite size pieces and then dunk in melted butter....mmmmm, good!

Pic of some of our perch.

022-1.jpg

We were fishing in 22-24 feet of water those two days, using minnows and wigglers. We used perch rigs with orange beads, Bruce had more luck with that than I did. I had the best luck with a purple jig with gold flecks of glitter, tipped with a wiggler. We went through 4 dozen wigglers and then started using just a minnow head. Seems the perch bit better on a part minnow than a whole one.

Bruce and I didn't keep track of how many we brought through the hole and released....but we guessed it to be around 60 dinks. We kept 27 nice sized perch and those 2 burbots.

I had a great time, managed to curl a few 12 oz. busch lights to keep up with my exercise program :lol:.....but I am glad to be back home.

Sounds like you had a great trip and caught some great eating fish. I had never had burbot until this year when I caught this 12lb beast out of Thomas Rd. I cooked some both lobster style with the melted butter and also some fried. Wow that fish sure is delicious. Yes they are ugly but what they lack in looks they way more than make up in taste. I wish I could get several more of them. Even the wife liked it and she is quite particular about her fish. My only complaint is there is not a whole lot of meat on the fish compared to their size.

Burbot1.jpg