Tournament ?'S

caznik

Tournament ?'s  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Tournament ?'s

• No cut bait
    • Yes cut bait

Should fishermen that are in a tournament be able to use cut bait while fishing them. Or should it be lures only.

I say no cut bait

Lures only

Caznik

Well Caz, Interesting question, I'll hafta say No cut bait for "specific" tourneys like your Dreamweaver challenge, as the tourny setup is everybody fishes the equipment provided by Dreamweaver. That being said, other tourney's that arent equipment specific, typical legal fishing rules apply, cut bait is legal so it can be used. Just my opinion.

Well Caz, Interesting question, I'll hafta say No cut bait for "specific" tourneys like your Dreamweaver challenge, as the tourny setup is everybody fishes the equipment provided by Dreamweaver. That being said, other tourney's that arent equipment specific, typical legal fishing rules apply, cut bait is legal so it can be used. Just my opinion.

Wayne,

In my tournament the Dreamweaver Challange. You can only use the lures that dreamweaver sends us and that is it. There is no cut bait involved in this tournament at all. Everyone has the same lures in every boat. Why don't you come and sign up and get in the challange, its alot of fun.

Rich

Wayne,

In my tournament the Dreamweaver Challange. You can only use the lures that dreamweaver sends us and that is it. There is no cut bait involved in this tournament at all. Everyone has the same lures in every boat. Why don't you come and sign up and get in the challange, its alot of fun.

Rich

Rich, I'm the 4th person signed up for the dreamweaver tournament. I enjoyed fishing it last year with RCH mainly because it pitted skills against skills as opposed to tacklebox to tacklebox. If you'll review my post you'll see thats what I was saying. Other tourney's like the west michigan league dates, St joe dates and such, while not ID'd as tourneys officially thats what they are thought off, Prizes are given at the end. I see no problem running cut bait in these or other events that don't specifically identify certain equipment to be fished (like the dreamweaver).

Cut bait is just like any other kind of lure, sometimes it will catch fish and sometimes it won't. I have run cut side-by-side with other lures and I just don't see an advantage.

Steve

Steve,

Cut bait is not like any lure, but you are right sometimes it might not catch fish. Now Steve, take that cut bait and smell it and get your tung and lick it LOL LOL :D , dont it smell and tast like a real fish from the ocean. MMMMMMMMMM yes it does. Now Steve, take a lure and smell it, now dont that smell like steel. :eek: Now what would you like to eat if you was a fish. I have nothing against cut bait at all, only in tournaments. My buddy Sarah C always tells me that his cut bait out does his lures any day. I been looking at alot of different fishing reports and forums that also tells me that cut bait is the ticket over lures because of its natural sent. I been thinking about banning cut bait in my fishing league. But will fishermen still sign up if I do it. I know in bass tournaments you cannot use crawlers or frogs or just any kind of bait. It must be lures only.

Caznik :D

Rich, I'm the 4th person signed up for the dreamweaver tournament. I enjoyed fishing it last year with RCH mainly because it pitted skills against skills as opposed to tacklebox to tacklebox. If you'll review my post you'll see thats what I was saying. Other tourney's like the west michigan league dates, St joe dates and such, while not ID'd as tourneys officially thats what they are thought off, Prizes are given at the end. I see no problem running cut bait in these or other events that don't specifically identify certain equipment to be fished (like the dreamweaver).

Wayne,

I forgot you are in the tournament. Thats what 3rd shift does to me.

Caznik

Hey Steve,

I hope you really didn't try and smell and put your tung on that cut bait. I got thinking about all the things that Marks tells what you have done in the past. You know the deal with life with Steve. Well anyways if anyone like to check out this site about cut bait. This guy on this web site really knows what cut bait does. Sounds like to me he even thinks its better than lures. Well if anyone like to check some of his stuff on his web site. The site is called www.michigansportsman.com You all probly have seen this allready. But if you have not check it out. Or check this out also. http://www.michigansportsman.com/Manistee_Master_BaiterI.htm

Like I said Steve cut bait is bait, and a lure is a lure. They are not the same to me. Thats why I think bait should not be in ant tournaments. I have nothing against with anyone fishing with it at all if it will help that fisherman fill his box. But to make all tournaments even (Tackle vs. Tackle)is the way to me that it should be done.

Guys now dont hit my boat when im fishing,

Caznik :D

One of the major reason that there are various tourneys that ban cut bait is that the manufactures of the cut bait heads/herring strips teaser rigs etc... do not sponsor the event. The Pro events are mainly sponsored by spoon and lure manufactures and those manufactures want their pro boat to run their lures. It is for bragging rights and ties into sales. Cut bait works real well, and in some ports, way too well. Banning cutbait was a way to promote spoons and lures.

Myself, I thought I would never put that smelly stinky stuff in my boat. I now run it on a consistant basis in addition to my spoons/lures. It is a legle way to catch fish. I would vote to keep it. One of the reasons is that way you don't have to police it. On the St. Joe event, the idea is to learn how to catch fish, have a bit of fun, meet new people, make friends and toss your 20.00 bucks in the hat. I guess we are of the opinion that we don't want to impose a bunch of rules to trip over.

Now, on the bass events-- the 2 species do not deserve to be in the same thread.....but.. Bass events (and I am ashamed to admit, I just got back from the BassMasters weight-in in Orlando yesterday), live bait is banned for almost the same purpose as stated with the twist of catch-release. Manufactures placed the pressure to ban live bait, but think of all the scents that are placed into the lures/plastics and the imitations that are out there. Live bait assists in mortality of the fish and with the added pressure and arm twisting from the lure manufactures, B.A.S.S. chose to ban live bait. They now have taken it to a new level in the catch and release whereas every fish caught is GPS stamped and after the weigh in, a team of fishery experts return those fish back to the same GPS spot that it was taken. Was a very impressive system.

We are playing catch and keep....whats next, banning wire rods?

Mark

Mark,

Like I said I do not have nothing against cut bait if it will help fishermen catch there fish. Just thought it would be nice to see it be lures only in tournaments. You also said something about police it in the tournamnets. So does this mean that people wouldn't be honest if there was no cut bait rule if there was such a rule in big tournaments. So then how would you run a no cull rule in a tournament then if it isn't police.

Caznik

I am not banning wire either. This is just a friendly ? what I have been thinking about.

Yes to cut bait.

If it is banned, then so should scents because they smell. Or plastics because their soft, or flies because they don't really represent a salmons food, or spoons because they aren't anything like a salmons food. I guess that leaves just alewives. Are they considered cutbait?

In the "manufacturer specific" tourneys it only makes sense to run only that suppliers products.

I have heard that tourneys have banned cut bait because of sponsers not making cut bait rigs but I don't buy it. If so they should be manufacturer specific also. I talked with a manufacturer a couple years ago who stated the ban was for that reason but I believe the real reason was he didn't know how to use it. Now that he has learned how he runs cut bait regularly and has no objection to it's use in tournaments.

I run it alot, but I sure wouldn't count on just cut bait for my catch.

There are many variables in tournament fishing and I sure wouldn't want to see so many rules implemented that it take away from the sport.

To each his own I guess.

Rich,

Yes, the wire statement was a light hearted attempt at a funny.

I guess the statement at policing it was an issue that I do not want deal with in our league. I don't want any issue with "they fished that way, He did that" issues....We like the KISS system. Run what you brung....have fun.

Mark

Did someone say Bass tournaments? I'm having flash backs. :D I must be at the wrong forums :confused:

I have fished in over 100 Bass tournaments. Most of them had over 100 boats, and a few had 150 boats. In all of the tournaments, I never heard one person arguing over the rules. People excepted the rules for what they where and fished.

Rich, run your tournaments the way you want to run them. It is the tournament director's decission on how he wants to run his tournament. If someone does not want to fish it because they do not like your rules, then so be it. Just be thankful they care enough to put up with the hassle and are putting it on.

If I had a boat, I would fish your tournaments with what ever rules you decide.

Mike

Mike,

I got a boat for sale!

Then you can fish the new tounament I'm putting on! The Salmon on a Willow Switch With a Shoestring Line and Safety Pin Hook with a Piece of Yarn tied on While Floating in an Innertube Tourney!:D NO CUT BAIT!(no spoons, flies, or attractors either!)

Just Kidding, Just kidding.

I agree if you don't like the tourney rules, don't fish it. Otherwise why not weigh in Carp at a Salmon Derby?

Some folks will win tournaments by learning and utilizing a myriad of fishing techniques so that they can cover any situation that arises. What they are left with is deciding which to use at any given time.

Others will win by taking just a few strategies and perfecting them.

So again I vote that if it is lure specific, or manufacturer specific; go ahead and limit what is acceptable angling in tournaments.

The tournament format that Caz puts on sounds like a blast and I only wish I could fish it.

But for general tournament rules, any legal method should be allowed.

Yes I better let this ? go now. I hope I didnt make anyone mad about me asking this ? about fishing with cut bait in tournaments. The cut bait ? was for big tournaments and not our league tournaments at all. I am talking about tournaments that cost boats $300.00 and more. Our little $15.00 a boats is to have fun and get together with friends.

I have more ? about tournaments but will not ask no more.:D

You all have a great time and hope we can soon all go out fishing on the big lake again soon.

Rich

Some folks will win tournaments by learning and utilizing a myriad of fishing techniques so that they can cover any situation that arises. What they are left with is deciding which to use at any given time.

I can not agree more with you on this. The fisherman that is well adept in various techniques will be the consistant finisher in all tournaments.

Rules are rules. It is the tournament director's decission on what the rules are. No one is forcing anyone to fish them.

Everyone is more than welcome to put on their own tournament and run it the way they wish.

Let me know what day the Inner Tube Tourney is and I will be there. There are some monster carp on the St. Joseph :D

Yes I better let this ? go now. I hope I didnt make anyone mad about me asking this ? about fishing with cut bait in tournaments. The cut bait ? was for big tournaments and not our league tournaments at all. I am talking about tournaments that cost boats $300.00 and more. Our little $15.00 a boats is to have fun and get together with friends.

I have more ? about tournaments but will not ask no more.:D

You all have a great time and hope we can soon all go out fishing on the big lake again soon.

Rich

Continue to ask your questions Caz. I do not see any harm here. If nobody expressed their opinions about anything then nobody would know nothing.

When you ask a question of any type you will get some answers that agree and some answers that disagree. As a general discussion that is what you are looking for. If everybody agreed on everything all the time then what is the sense in asking a question and asking what others think.

To me a big money tourney it doesn't matter one way or the other. I'm not confident enough in my abilities and equipment to spend that kind of cake to enter one.

As far as the league touneys I say it should be allowed because as was stated prior. We are just getting together and going fishing. I wouldn't even be bummed out if the money went away....That isn't what brings me out to these events. In fact for me sometimes I think the money takes away from the fun a little bit.

I don't see asking questions as a bad thing. Even if it is a question about the rules. If there is a rule and somebody asks why. That doesn't mean they are complaining or chastizing the rule. Like Mike said the tournement director has the say...And that is that. But perhaps somebody asks the question and has a good idea or a partial good idea that the tournement director hadn't thought of? Then that is a good thing.

Rules are the rules and everybody agrees to them when they pay the money...But if all communications are cut off then you may never improve on things.

Keep up the questions Rich, If nothing else it gets people talking and posting.

• 1 month later...

If its legal acoarding to DNR rules, and it is available to all anglers, no reason it shouild be banned.

If a person frowns apon it because he doesn't use it, or doesn't know how, then thats their fault. Kinda like telling someone, what kinda boat they can use, or the direction of troll they hafta use.

If you are a good captain, and are confident in your presentation, you don't need others to conform to your ways in order to be on an equal basis.

Just do what works for you. To those who say they haven't noticed a difference in cut bait or flies.......................:D alrighty then!

Hey guys,

After reading all the previous posts, it's clear that some people feel cut bait is not a traditional fishing method and therefor should not be allowed, while others see it as a welcome addition to their arsenal and use it on a regular basis. I won't keep beating on a dead horse but I have to agree that cut bait is a legal and accepted technique for catching salmon and trout. Having said that, I feel that if it is not listed in tournament rules as being off limits, then it should be allowed.

By now I'm sure you can guess that I run cut bait in my spread. I have run it on charters and in tournaments with great success. Personally, I don't feel that it should banned in any tourny, with the exception of the Dreamweaver Challenge of course. I understand Caz's point of view that by banning cut bait it levels the playing field tackle-wise. However, I'm not sure I agree with that. Some folks seem to have unlimited wealth and it is reflected in their tackle box. Not to get crazy, but I side with Capt. Levi on this issue. In the pro tourny's I fish, what about the guys with faster boats than mine? Should I get a longer run time allowance because I'm not as fast? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I'm just trying to make a point. As long as cut bait is legal, it will be on my boat.