I am finally a first mate

I always thought it would be a great job to become a first mate. So half way threw july i started emailing a few charters out of ludington with no reasponce. After having no one contact me i sent it out to the whole fleet and still i didnt get a reasponce. So i kinda gave up for a while. So one day i was posting on hear about that i might try to become a first mate and Dick Donovan(adventure 1 charters) PM me saying i might be looking for a mate for next season if you wanna come fish with us next weekend your more then welcome to. So after dick said he dosent know if he will need me for 2011 season, i sent a email out to Craig Kent of Killin Time 3 and ask if he was looking for one. With a little luck he was in the market for a new first mate.....4 weeks later he came to my house to meet me and my parents also to offer me a full time first mate job for the next season.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thats great!

at 12 years old, thats how i got my start and love for lake michigan and 17 years later, here i am!

i absolutely love charter fishing. it is a whole 'nother thrill to salmon fishing. its easy to take for granted what we do all the time. seeing and being a part of people's first experience on the lake and salmon fishing is amazing.

if you have any questions feel free to contact me

Congrats Matt. I mated for my high school years and a few years after. Just don't make the mistake of it becoming just another job and spoiling fishing for you. Not saying it will happen but i saw it with some friends of mine. Learn all you can from your Captain. Watch, listen, and ask questions.

Just don't make the mistake of it becoming just another job and spoiling fishing for you. Not saying it will happen but i saw it with some friends of mine. Learn all you can from your Captain. Watch, listen, and ask questions.

absolutely! It can be easy to get burned out. I have seen many people come through and just got sick of it and the customers. it wasn't going fishing anymore, it was work. Others that tried it just for "easy money" never lasted long either.

I missed out on a lot growing up because working the boat was my passion. I was ok with that because i always dreamed of running my own boat. looking back now, the only thing i would change is paying more attention to what the captain was doing. The back deck is where the magic happens but it all starts at the helm.