SWR Question

Anyone know how much 30# fluorocarbon will fit on a Diawa SG47LCA reel with 2-color lead core, and a 30ft leader of 20# fluorocarbon? Have a couple extra reels that aren't being used, and would like to see if I could use them for a "secret weapon rig".:confused:

ALOT lol but if your worried about how much just tie your leader to the leader to your core and put everything on in reverse om the reel then take a drill with another spool on it and take it off a rewind it on your reel. Thats the way i do it and dont have any problems with it

ok .....just so i know before I do this ....for these SWR's .....if I want to target 40 feet in stealth mode set the rigger at 30 and use the 2 color lead with 20# FC leader how far out on the backing do I clip the release or doesn't it matter ???

ok .....just so i know before I do this ....for these SWR's .....if I want to target 40 feet in stealth mode set the rigger at 30 and use the 2 color lead with 20# FC leader how far out on the backing do I clip the release or doesn't it matter ???

Sounds about right Mark. I usually just hook the release a couple feet into the backing unless I really want the lure back off of my spread.

Just some thoughts.....

I run 2,3 and 4 color SWR rigs behind my riggers. I almost always am running clean spoons on these rods, so i really like running lighter leaders as well. I use 12lb. leaders on Lake Superior and 15lb. leaders on Lake Michigan, usually 30'.(All Floro) I truley belive that lighter line will put more fish in the boat. I use 17lb. Andes Mono for backer on all my lead core rods and have no problems. Let your drags do what they are designed to do and keep your thumb off the line!! We boated dozens of Kings from 15-20lbs. last year on the 10 lb. test rigger rods, just enjoy the fight! To many people are in a hurry to get the fish to the boat. Why? Enjoy it! Plus, a fish that has been played for a while causes a lot less chaos at the back of the boat! We catch 30lb.+ Lakers all summer at The Rock using 12-15lb. leaders. The line can take it.....Can you? :grin:

Another thing to try....I also almost always have a flasher/fly on the rigger right next to the SWR, usually set about 5' above it. Using 2 riggers as a "team" can be deadly! Many times with this set-up in the water, if you pull the flasher/fly out, or move it further away, the SWR goes dead. Never underestimate the effect your other rods have on the spread.

For those of you that have Ridgeback Rattler weights, the SWR is a perfect rig to run behind those balls as well! Having a bait 10+ feet below and 100 feet behind the comotion of those balls is an awsome set-up! As a lot of research shows, fish will swim Down after leaving a spread their not interested in.....This is where the SWR rig shines! Below and behind everything else, fish just cant seem to resit it!

When fish are DEEP, dont hesitate to put some of your bigger cores behind riggers. I usually only do this in Tourneys because of all the extra reeling, but it works great, especially for mid-day negitive fish. We were finding active fish in the shipping channel last year, but they were 200-300 feet down due to the water temps. An 8 color Leadcore on a rigger with 250' of cable out is an awsome way to reach fish down deep in a "stealth" way!

I refuse to jump on the bandwagon of Copper line because I .....well....I hate the stuff! But a 30' peice of Copper can be used instead of the 2 colors(60') of lead as well to achieve the same depth below the ball. I belive however, that leadcore and copper are NOT interchangable. Leadcore gives a completely different action to the bait then Copper does, but some people really like it.

Just a few of my opinions! Hope it helps someone!! :thumb:

Just some thoughts.....

When fish are DEEP, dont hesitate to put some of your bigger cores behind riggers. I usually only do this in Tourneys because of all the extra reeling, but it works great, especially for mid-day negitive fish. We were finding active fish in the shipping channel last year, but they were 200-300 feet down due to the water temps. An 8 color Leadcore on a rigger with 250' of cable out is an awsome way to reach fish down deep in a "stealth" way!

John, how heavy of rigger weights are you using when you do this, and how much blowback do you get?

I use 15lb. Atomik Torpedos. They are a must for fishing deep! Most of my deep fishing is on Lk. Superior, but the weird water temps last year on Lake Michigan had us searching far deeper than ever before to find mature fish. Any weight of at least 12lbs. would get the job done, but a Torpedo shaped weight is a FAR better design and a 15lb. Torpedeo has the same blowback that a 20lb.+ round ball would have. I bump bottom in 200' of water with 230' of cable out, running about 2.1-2.5 gps speed. If you wanna fish deep, you HAVE to check out the A-Tom-Mik Torpedos!

Blowback is tolerable with good heavy weights, and when I am fishing down in the deep cold water, I tend to run a bit slower as well, so that helps reduce blowback. Plus, I have found the big Kings to like the slower presentations, especially during the day. With my new Fishhawk X4 unit, I have cut out the coated cable and can send my probe down 250' or more and never lose signal. The currents down that deep can be crazy, so a probe is almost a nessecity to get the baits running properly.

I dont like to fish like that if I dont have to, and on most charter trips I run I would stick closer to the warm water and catch plenty of mid-sized fish. But in the few tourneys I fish, they are all "Big Fish" derbys, so one fish at 20lbs beats a box full of 18lbers. When targeting Bigger fish,.....SLOW and DEEP is the ticket! I will usually go down to a 4-6 rod spread for that fishing. 2 super deep riggers, both with leadcore and clean spoons. 2 Mag Wire Divers with Meat Rigs, usually run from 250-450 feet out. And sometimes I will add 2 Slide Divers above the Wire in search or a random offshore Steelie. You may want to stick more rods in, but Dont! That defeats the pourpose and can cause issues with that much line out. I am a firm beliver in "Big fish like Small spreads", especially during the day.

:thumb: