taping spoons

I bought a bunch of painted spoon blanks at the swap meet and picked up tape at gold coast. My question is when i go to tape them what do i do to make sure the tape sticks and stays on. I have never had luck taping a spoon and it staying for more than a couple trips.

I dont know if this will work, but in Motocross I used clear nail polish on the edge of my graphics to keep the edges from from lifting up. Maybe it would work for spoons...I dunno.

super glue works great on spoons,right along the edge.they still get torn up but will last a little longer

Clean the spoon with some form of alcohol(not the kind you drink) before you tape it. After you have the tape on the spoon, lay the spoons in the sun for a hour. This will help the tape adhere to the spoon. The sun trick works with taped spoons you purchase at your local tackle shop also. ;)

You could also use a hairdryer to heat the spoon.

I real careful where and what brand of tape I buy.

You can also spray an overcoat of automotive lacquer clear to seal the spoons.

HIH

Just came across this site posted by another member and found waterproof tape.

http://stores.ebay.com/BAKERS-DOZEN_Water-Proof-Lure-Tape_W0QQ_fsubZ14076228QQ_sidZ22995713QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Edited by Rayman96
adding info

Clean,clean,clean, you have to make sure the spoon is clean of all finger prints and when applying the stickers do not touch the sticky side if possible, then I have put spoons in a stack and rubberbanded them ,then put them in the oven at the lowest setting for about 15 min. this is an old trick i learned from Dennis Ende who used to own North Port nailer.We do this with our spoons that have multiple layers of stickers and it seems to work good. JImmy

• 1 month later...

I just make sure theyre clean and dry and put the tape on. A warm spoon doesnt hurt either. Set it in the sun or heat with a hair dryer. I normally use an exacto knife to peel and position the tape on the spoon/lure. That way no oils from my fingers are transfered. Makes for a very good bond. Once positioned i firmly rub the tape to make sure its sealed down. In the process this will also create some heat which will help it bond. I use the WTP tapes available at most tackle shops. Holds up well for me. But in the end they'll get knarled up. Kings are tough customers and have some wicked teeth in there so its to be expected.