Sliders and Fixed Sliders....

Boltman

I made some leaders tonight that I want to use on Sliders and trying Fixed Sliders as well this year, I made 30lb and 15lb leaders about 10 feet long for each, What are some thoughts on the weight I used, I'm thinking that the 30 lber's are too heavy duty, certainly not stealth at all either..Oh and I went to Gander mountain tonight, and found a lot of spoons 1/2 off Dream weavers and Moonshines.... I went nuts.

Most tournies say 6ft for sliders so that is where I cut mine. Usually 20lb mono is what I use and I have Alberta clippers for fixed sliders and have also used tube and snap swivels on the line to fix them as well as the old rubber bands. All work most of the time I send down free sliders and they work ok for me the bad thing is when it trips you have to make up a lot of line in a hurry to get the hook set and often the fish is gone. The fun thing is when you feel the second thud while fighting a fish meaning a fish has hit the other lure.

Ive ran 12# (which seemed too light) and 30# (which seemed too heavy) and settled with 20# copolymer (Its a little bit more abrasion resistant than mono). 95% of the time i use fixed slider just because i can control the depth its running at but free sliders have their days. Check out Alberta clippers, they will get the job done for you.

Well the reason I like short sliders is that number one less mess to untangle and number 2 when you get a hit on a slider it yanks the bottom lure up to the fish zone and puts the second lure in front of the fish. This can cause a second fish to try and take it and suddenly you are fighting 2 fish on one rod this is a true double and sometimes a netting nightmare but in the end it is all good.

For a slider I don't believe there is any need to be stealthy.

....More than likely the fish has come through all your other stuff to get to the slider.......stealth not required.

....I use a heavier line for the slider because it will rub against the other gear on that line when you catch a fish.

....Heavier line in case it makes contact with rigger cable.

....Heavier line just because it is subjected to more abuse.

Leader length is 36 to 39 inches........or less than the displacement between riggers.

Very light spoons are used for free sliders. Heavier spoons are fixed sliders or stacked on another rod. In most cases I stack on another rod rather than use a slider.

Just some of my set-up, not rule by any means.

HIH

If you get a true doubleheader, a short leader makes for easier netting. This way both fish come to the net at the same time. Otherwise one fish is in the net and the other is 10' away and no way to reel it in!

36 to 39 inches is a safe length on my boat to keep sliders a safe distance away from the cable of the rigger next to it.

Never thought of using red line before, might be worth a try!

Thanks for the great advice on the slider Issue........36-39 inches is a little short so I'm going to keep it at about 10'....but I do like the idea of running RED line for the slider line.

10' could cause a netting issue Robert. With 10' of line out off the end of you rod, a big swim deck, and the bend of the rod = hard netting.

10' could cause a netting issue Robert. With 10' of line out off the end of you rod, a big swim deck, and the bend of the rod = hard netting.

Ya that. I don't like having any leaders longer than the rod they are on. Netting is what closes the deal. You want that fish in the net pronto. A Pi$$ed off King close to the boat needs to be netted proficiently.:)

The first time you catch a fish on a 10ft slide will be your last time at that length. You will have the rodsman in the cabin while your extreme netman is stabbing at it. Under 6ft is all you need. I use the scooter clips for my slides, some don't care for them but I am a believer. Many other methods work just as good.