1st day bowhunt

j1musser

I have not been bow hunting in 8 years but got an offer from a friend to go hunt with him on some private land. Set up everything last weekend and been shooting bow and all that jazz. Today was like opening day to me, i was like a little kid at Christmas.

Got out this AM, split trails with my buddy to head to my stand at new property. Hmm this is strange i brought a cord to haul bow cuz i forgot before but theres one on my stand. HHmmm that ladder stand has bolts in the legs, hmm my ratchet strap was strapped differently. HHmmm thats not my name on that stand. Hhmm thats NOT my stand. Same exact trails and shooting lanes i cleared though. No seat either. Thankfully there is an extra stand at back of property that i made it to right at daylight, no pad or safety harness. A little chilly and sore butt but got to hunt at least. No deer seen though.

Left stand and hooked up with buddy to go talk to landowner.No one home. This other stand is in the exact tree, similiar ladder stand, using 1/2 of my ratchet strap. Had a name on it. Just talked to buddy and i guess there is an old timer that hunts there too. They can't get ahold of him tonight. What a fiasco!! At least i have a chance of getting my stand back but what a strange day. At least i know who has it if i gotta call the cops.

Good news was i got to sit in the great outdoors on a beautiful morning. What else can ya do but laugh. Welcome to the goat rodeo!!!

Sorry to hear that Jarod. Seems you cant get on a piece of land anymore without someone messing with your stuff. Sorry to hear that. I had a problem with a guy that deer hunts a property i have permission to small game hunt on. Got all bent outta shape and accused us of deer hunting just cause it was the youth deer season the weekend we were squirrel hunting. Said he was the only one that had permission and all that jazz. He didnt have much to say when we were up there talking to the land owner and he said ya, he can be back there. But, no, he had to stick his nose in someone elses busines without consulting the landowner first. Thats the same thing this chap shoulda done when he encountered your stand. No respect out there anymore...Quite sad.

Thats a bummer Jarod, I ran into some guys on the property I was hunting this weekend and expected the worst but it turns out that all is good and no problems, theres plenty of deer to go around they say...Now I just need themto come around my way.

I feel for ya brother. sat Morining I busted a sorry s.o.b. trying to steel one of my stands. It was the hired help of the farm I lease land from. It was ugly untill I called the DNR. Its in there hands now. Its good to have them on your cell so all you have to do is press a button.

This Idiot claims he was looking for a deer with one section of one of my ladder stands hanging on his shoulder. He was not aware that the back of my house faces that way and I could see them back there and looking threw the spotting scope was able to see what was going on. Naturally I got in the truck and took a drive. Kind of sweet justice as that is the first time ive caught the thief in the act and over 10 years have had 6 stands swipped.

Im pretty sure that if the dnr looks at his house like I suggested they might find some of my other stands.

Good deal Joe. Hopefully you can recover some of your other gear as well. I wish people would go out and earn their money then go BUY their equipment instead of stealing it from other people. Same way my Dad taught us boys. If its not yours, leave it alone and if you find it, give it back!

Good deal Joe. Hopefully you can recover some of your other gear as well. I wish people would go out and earn their money then go BUY their equipment instead of stealing it from other people. Same way my Dad taught us boys. If its not yours, leave it alone and if you find it, give it back!

Amen!

If its not yours, leave it alone and if you find it, give it back!

I like it, should be a bumper sticker! Been a long time since I've been ripped off, but when I was it really ticked me off... I think I know who did, I've been baiting ever since waiting for him to come back for something, when they do it's on...