South Haven 9/12 and 9/13

Saturday- Fished from 70 feet all the way out to 145. In 100 fow a steelhead took a rip at the double orange crush on the two color and after a few jumps he said goodbye. Then in 140 fow I was sitting on the bow watching a butterfly try to land on the inside planer board (full core) and all of the sudden i see the board go straight back and the rod ripping line. My grandpa was along for the ride so we gladly handed the rod to him. It ended up being about a 15 lb female that hit a killer dolphin and afterwords he kept talking about how hard it was to reel it in and how sore his elbow was:lol: Our only other hit was in 130 fow on the downrigger 88 down. This setup was the one that had a blue bubble fly I tied with a blue spinnie and it was an 8lb king! I was thrilled to finally catch a fish on my own fly regardless on how many fish we caught that day:D

Sunday- We setup to the south and continued moving south til it was time to pull the lines. Took a laker on full core with killer dolphin in 100 fow and another lake trout on a green fly I tied behind a 11 inch UV protroll. Got one steelhead in 105 fow on half core with red head j-plug this fish was about 8 lbs. Had one other steelhead hit the braided dipsy set on 2 175 back with a killer dolphin; this was a 12lb dandy:no: Our only other fish was a small coho on the same setup the bigger steelhead hit in 110 fow. We also had a small yellow bird come flying down and land on me. He stayed on the boat for close to 2 hours and just flew around eating bugs! Ended the day 5 for 5.;)

Also both days we marked big schools of fish down on the bottom and couldn't get any hits from them:confused:

Sounds like a couple of fun days on the water. I know exactly how you feel when you talk about catching fish on your homemade lures. Im a long time lure builder and there is no better feeling than catching fish on something you crafted yourself. Well done.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like a couple of fun days on the water. I know exactly how you feel when you talk about catching fish on your homemade lures. Im a long time lure builder and there is no better feeling than catching fish on something you crafted yourself. Well done.

Yeah I was so happy. That night I think I stayed up close to 1 tying different colors of flies for the next mornings trip!:no:

LOL...I know exactly where your coming from. I went through that as well. But take it from me, dont get too wild as youll find more often than not you'll go back to the well for the tried and true flies and those razzed out different colors stay in the tackle bag. They have their days, but arent nearly as consistant as others. IMO its aweful tough to beat a blue, green, Aqua or white fly behind a flasher for salmon.

Anyhow, have fun and dont be suprised if you get an inkling to start making other tackle to match YOUR needs. I started with one style of jig and now i make several, tie different variations of crawler harnesses, trolling flies, jigging spoons...Yeah, its an addiction!