Ludington This weekend 08/15

Well we had a great time..Went out Saturday Morning, hit three Fish, 1st one came on a rigger 125 down in 200FOW 8 lbs,,2nd one came on the same Glow spoon, same Rigger..75 feet down in 150 FOW and the 3rd came on the same spoon which will never be the same...23lb King on the same rigger..

ludington08142009009.jpg

Then at night well I lost two splatter back plug to two monsters that neve showed their faces.... but wow did they hit hard and one Fought hard... Ha then he was gone on a wire line dispey... happend twice in a row same dipsey..lost the flasher and the plug the forst time.

ludington08142009010.jpg

3 for 3 in the morning NOt Bad....and two losses for two hits at night ...Not Bad either....

Question, what do you use to bring the monsters in besides 30lb leaders..... they snapped them like they were paper..? Let me know I'm curiuos...

From flasher to bait I've gone to 50 lb. line. Presently Trilene big game. You could also use a fluorocarbon leader material, but with a dipsy, a stealth approach is not necessary but quality line is.

In this situation a snubber would be useful as well.

So rigging goes like this.

Wire to dipsy, then snubber, leader 50 lb., flasher leader 50 lb. then lure. Also use quality ball-bearing swivels.

Check your knots and leaders for nicks and wear everytime you send them out.

HTH

GJ Robert, you go some real nice fish there. How were other boats fairing?

Rayman96 has given some sound advise. Ive ran 30-50# leader material and have noticed no difference in the amount of hits i have. Im currently running a clear dreamweaver snubber, 7' 40# leader and 60# w/22" set back on the flies w/8" SD's. I run the plugs and spoons off this as well and they are also productive for me.

Good luck, losing tackle sucks. I managed to bust off a complete diver set up last trip out. Replacing that was ok, it was the extras that i "needed" that hurt the pocket book.:no::lol::D

Nice job Robert!

You should loosen up the drag on a wire diver when you first hook up with a fish. There is ZERO stretch in the wire. After the fish has made a couple of runs, you can add some drag.

Thats a good point Mike. I normally run mine just so the line doesnt pay out. Then when i get a big fish on, ill back it off and let them get rid of all that pissin' vinegar!

Thats exactly what I do.

Were going back this weekend too Joe, the point was hot but very busy, too busy I think, We're going to run south a little bit and see where the traffic isn't...Hioefully the weather will participate with us and give us a calm setting.

Now you REALLY have the fever i bet! Nice fish

Were you using a snubber on the wire? Also on the drag thing, it takes us a while to get our fish in due to how loose we run our drag, but our catch to loss ratio is pretty good i think...... and let em go if they wanna go!! If the rod really starts thumping back that drag a little. This does not work very well if you are fishing in the pack though.

Nice job Robert!

You should loosen up the drag on a wire diver when you first hook up with a fish. There is ZERO stretch in the wire. After the fish has made a couple of runs, you can add some drag.

%100 correct, That's the first thing we do, even on smaller fish.

[quote name=

Question, what do you use to bring the monsters in besides 30lb leaders..... they snapped them like they were paper..? Let me know I'm curiuos...

Were going back this weekend too Joe, the point was hot but very busy, too busy I think, We're going to run south a little bit and see where the traffic isn't...Hioefully the weather will participate with us and give us a calm setting.
Thanks for the report. We are leaving for Ludington on TH and coming home on TU the 25th. Let's hope for good weather :grin:

Im leaving in the morning Robert. I plan to go right back where we finished up last week to start. Ill let you know what i find down there. Ill be back on Friday sometime. Probably wont be till the afternoon before im home though, so i may not be much help to you for the weekend.