Bert's or Traxstech?

I need to buy some rod holders and I don't think I can go wrong with either Bert's or Tarxtech from what I read. Any opinions? Where to shop for the best deal and get them quickly.

My plan is to put three on each side of the boat on tracks and three more mounted to both sides of the stainless tubes on my hardtop. Which means I have/need/want to buy 12 of these things. My boat has outboards and I would like to keep the back as open as possible. My two downriggers are on back of the boat on a swivel base that I can either run straight off the back or to the side.

I got my berts set up at the outdoorsman pro shop in jenison. they had the cheapest price and because i bought my whole set up at once (6 holders, 2 risers and 2 pieces of track) they gave me a discount on top of it. although i am not sure what they would charge for shipping they do have a website you can order off of.

you cant go wrong with either one ,we have both on our boat the ratcheting berts holder is great for dipsys.just stay away from the lexan holders unless you like losing rods

I agree..... Love the ratcheting berts for dipseys but reccomend fixed holders for your leadcore. Last year I had some in-line planers in a ratcheting berts holder and on a tight turn and the rocking motion of a wave, the outside rod ratcheted up on me....I thought I had a fish on:eek: This year I am running a rod tree for my planers and leaving the berts to my dipseys

I have to say I'm a little biased on this one. I have known Jeff Miller who is the owner of Traxstech for a long time and I have to say many of the innovations he has come up with are pure genius. Among them if you look closely at the locking pin on the Traxstech holder, you will notice that it is stainless and it is tapered. The tapering is to make the lock pin actually wear in instead of wearing out. The shot blasted finish is made to withstand scratching and keeps everything looking good forever. The nice shiny Berts stuff is great when it is new, until it gets water marks on it and scratches.

The new planner board trees from Traxstech are awesome and far more functional then the fixed postioned holders from Berts. On some boats with very limited space they were even able to run a dipsy off the bottom holder and boards on the top ones last summer.

I’ve used them all and I will only buy Traxstech for now on.

CHRIS,vectors if you get them you would be happy you did!!! ROCK SOLID tottally adjustable. ive got a line on some used triple super spreaders that i will install ASAP ive seen them and used them on another boat and as good if not better than the berts and traxtech.......oh before i forget here are another coulpe contenders to throw into the mix!!!

http://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.com/index2.html

http://www.auroralitestackle.com/auroralitesrodholders.html

Dont forget to check out the Big Jons. All of the Big Jon rod holders can be adjusted with one hand.

Not only that, Lord of the riggers has some great buys on the Big Jons.

If someone is handy he had a few of the Multiset ones that came off riggers. these are new never used. Tony will make you an offer you can't refuse.:)

I have removed all my Berts stuff and put on Michigan rod holders. I fish alot and the Berts ratchet system wore out and would dop my rod tip in the water with any wave action. I fished last year with michigan rod holders and had no issues. They are built with the keep it simple stupid method of engineering and I see nothing that can wear out. Never fished with Traxtech so I can not give you my oppinion on them. As for lead core I have a great lakes planers rod mast that works great and is adjustable. I also use large Big Jon otter boats wit an electric mast instead of inline boards. I believe my lures get more action.

Edited by Just in time
spelling

I ended up buying the Vector Super Spread triple and 6 of the rail mount Vectors today from the Fishin Hole in St. Joe. I like the quick disconnect plate that Vector makes for the triple and my wife isn't all that crazy about rod holders. As far as the Fishin Hole, I like the way I was treated and he was very fair w/ me. I'll get back to all of you and let you know how I like them when I finally make my first trip out if all goes as planned sometime next week.