Port Sheldon 7/27 A.M.

Went out Sunday morning with myself and 4 count them 4 rookies!! after stopping at the local meijers for some one day passes and provisions we headed to to the lake and departed the launch at a casual 6:30 A.M.,ran out to 50 fow pretty much strait out and set up first hit came shortly after on a green ladder back J-plug on a rigger set down 45 ft in 60 fow handed it to Matt he fought it to the back of the boat saw the fish very clearly was a nice king Matt failed to control his fish and about the 5th or 6th time i had to pass another rod around his to clear another rod it came undone,pretty depressing if my net handle had been a couple of feet longer i could have netted that fish half a dozen times.

next fish same rigger same lure in 65 fow on a NW troll.again fought to the back of the boat with Kevin at the other end of the rod. again unable to control the fish and before to long wrapped up and came undone.by now I'm getting frustrated

3rd fish same rod same lure in 65 fow on a north troll my Son Cole grabbed the rod and it started peeling line after the first run i reached around him and loosened the drag a touch my thought being that if we let the fish play itself out a bit we may not have such a hard time landing this one.finally we put one in the boat!

the wave conditions were not bad(2 foot rollers) but about that time Calvin said that he was not feeling good at all and would like very much if i would take him in i of course said no problem and pulled lines and we motored in to drop him off i was ready to pull the boat and head home but Calvin insisted we go back out so we did.

back out in 70 fow and things had died i thought that the fish may have went out deeper so we trolled west to 130 fow and nothing so i again turned NE to get in more shallow in 75 fow water the full core(Michael Jackson) started RIPPIN it was nearly spooled out before we gained anything on him Kevin had the rod,right to the back of the boat A dandy king again boat rolled to the starboard and a over zealous angler and pulled the hook:angry2::angry2:

and then the sun came out Strong and the bite was on!! the fly bite i mean man those things we ornery!

Greasey chicken wing fired on a down rigger 60 down in 75 fow Cole landed that one another fine king. 5 min. later the same rod same lure same depth fired again I gave the rod to Kevin for one last try i set the hook myself so i was fairly confident that he was hooked well,i let him fight the fish and i pulled the other 7 rods for to reasons 1. to eliminate any possibility of a tangle. 2. as soon as this fish was boxed or lost we was outta there the flies had redoubled there efforts to devour me and my crew. finally Kevin boxed one.

OK i learned a few things this trip

1. i will never again take a full load of rookies out on the boat at one time

2. it is still very satisfying to go threw all of that and still put fish in the boat and know that the guys had a good time.

I may have seamed a little grumpy and at times i was a little frustrated but it will be a day that we remember for a long time to come and we all had a good time

final count 3 for 6