More Walleye Trolling Bling.

COME ON SPRING.

Those look like a killer combo Dan. I need to make a Stamina order also, but I have been waiting for this month to pass, because of the property tax hit.

I have one question. What is the reason for going with Casting Spoons?? I know that Walleye Express must have a good reason.:)

I can't wait to get a boat under my A$$.:)

I'm thinking with the heavier casting spoons in front I might get away from having to add a keel sinker to the front of the rig for weight in moderatley shallow water, say 18 Feet or less. While still being able to run moderate too short leads from the releases. And I'm guessing I will attain even deeper depths with the Meak Freak, being it itself will be diving from the back. I attached beaded swivels front and back to these spoons so they will pivot and flash freely as well.

• 1 month later...

I am fairly new on this site and have been away from the big eyes for a while.

We fish out of eastern Lake Ontario, and I knotice alot of people using spoons now.

I always used bombers, thundersticks off the big boards.

CAn you give me some tips on the spoons.

How far back from boards, in line weights? speed.

Thanks Greg

Speed mostly 0.8 to 2.0 MPH GPS. As far as how far back and weight it depends on the depth you are targeting. Downriggers, Inline weights, bottom Bouncers and spap weight can all be used. We use spoons ahead of crawler harnesses on the Saginaw Bay. I also run crawler harnesses with Colorado spinner blades. If I'm targeting 20 to 40 ft I'll run 2-3 oz inline weights or bouncers. Let em down untill you feel them tick bottom and bring then up to the depth you want. Keep in mind that the angle of the line behind the boat has to be accounted for. In other words if your line is at a 45 degree angle you will have to reel up about 3 ft for every two ft you want to come up. Sometimes lighter weights and longer leads provide a different presentation. We do run clean spoons off the riggers at times also. I hope this helps.:) It looks like Dan was using some crank baits to get the crawlers in the walleye's faces.

Shown below is just one way I run my spoon harnesses and the new colors I made up for this years trolling season. You can run them in a variety of ways. Mainly keep about a 30 inch leader in front of the spoon harness and bait them with either real crawlers or 6 " Gulp Night Crawlers. Run them behind any weight you want. Keels, snap weights, bouncers or #40 Jets. I'm going to add a couple of Jets to my arsenal this year to run straight down beside the boat for 2 extra rods. A favorite way of mine is behind 1 1/2 ounce Keels. Every 2 feet out equals 1 foot down. You can copy and build your own spoon harnesses easy enough right off the picture I posted. The spoons are Michigan Stingers, Scorpion size.

IM001638.sized.jpg

IM001538.sized.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
I made some of these up 2 years ago, after Capt. Dan shared them with us.

And they work VERY well.

Thanks again Captain Dan.

It's all part of the circle of things. Every single thing in the fishing business is connected in one form or the other. We all benefit from sharing and good info.:grin: