St. Joe Fishing League April 29th results

Well we had another good day (a little bumpy) out on the water for the St. Joe League event on the 29th of April. We had 10 boats participate this weekend and the standing was:

1st place: 4 fish weighed, 29lbs 14oz, total = 69.875 points – Running Arends (Steve Arend)

2nd place: 3 fish weighed, 37lbs 4oz, total = 67.25 points - Fistful of Dollars (Tom – Did I get the boat name right?)

3rd place: 3 fish weighed, 26lbs 12oz, total = 56.75 points – Adjusted (Mark)

4th place: 3 fish weighed, 21lbs 9oz, total = 51.563 points – KDS08 (Still no boat name.)

5th place: 3 fish weighed, 19lbs 2oz, total = 49.125 points – Tauzigg (Gary)

6th place: 3 fish weighed, 16lbs 3oz, total = 46.188 points – BDWalk (Brett)

7th place: 3 fish weighed, 7lbs 14oz, total = 37.875 points - leprechaun II (The other Ben)

8th place: 1 fish weighed, 4lbs 11oz, total = 14.688 points – Midway (Wayne)

9th place: Fish-On and Danger Dan with no fish to weigh.

Big fish went to Tom (Fistful of Dollars?) with a 13lb 3oz King.

Small fish went to Tauzigg (Gary) with a 5oz King.

Thanks everyone it was a good time.

Steve

It was a little bumpy out there around 100ft for the morning run. We made it out to a way point that I had from the last couple of days out in 125 fow. We set lines and trolled out to 160 and made a fip and started trolling back in. By this time our first 4 fish were a (1) laker, (1) Coho, (2) kings and tossed a Laker back. Just after hitting our way point we boxed another King. We kept on a east troll and hit 120 fow and end up boxing 5 more kings in a short span of time. We were boxed out on Kings by 10:15am. We end up 12 for 16 with the Mag. Chicken poxs on riggers, Mag Flounder Pounder on full core, Mag copper/orange glow on full core and cut rigs on wire dipsies were hot.

It's easy to see Steve didn't share the waypoint :( . We made it out to 120 fow and started trolling west, to 140 fow, turned back east and took our fish on a copper rig with the TNT moonshine. Apparently the hungry fish were further N that where I was. Lost another on the copper with a glow green spook raider. Good time spent with the guys and looking forward to trying again.

Thanks Steve for letting me crew for ya! I would have HATED to be out there by myself in my boat...or for you to only have 2 guys in yours! It was a handful around 10am with 4 kings within 20 mins of eachother...and most all hits were double headers! Hopefully the winnings pay for the rod/reel/line/lure...I'll let Steve fill y'all in on that one! But it has something to do with 5 ft waves, 20+ mph head winds, full throttle, and bow in the air...!!! :eek: If I can post a pict on this board I will of our take for the day...the top 4 fish is what we weighed in for the tourney, the rest rounded out our 3 man limit of kings.

Apr29TourneyWinSm.JPG

Hopefully the winnings pay for the rod/reel/line/lure...I'll let Steve fill y'all in on that one! But it has something to do with 5 ft waves, 20+ mph head winds, full throttle, and bow in the air...!!! :eek:

Well after we pulled our 10th king and placed it back into the lake for another day, we pulled line and the plan was to hit 100 fow and set lines for Coho and steelies. Well with 5 ft. sea and a head wind of 20+ mph winds and all that weight in the back of the boat from all the fish, I could not get on plane and with the throttle pegged I was doing 8 mph. After hitting 100 fow we decided to run all the way in and get out of the waves closer to shore. We ha a 5 footer hit us just right and the wave lifted a rigger rod right out of the holder and into the lake. It was just like watching the Titanic sink; about a foot of the rod was sticking out of the water and by the time I got the boat turned around all we could do was watch it slowly sink to the depths of the lake.

Steve,

What type of flasher are you running in front of your meat and are you running twinkies? The rig I have (Oki and twinkie rig) seems way too long to run off of a dipsey?

Thanks!

And yet another weird thing this year, guys taking lots of hits on meat. Seems a bit early.

Steve,

What type of flasher are you running in front of your meat and are you running twinkies? The rig I have (Oki and twinkie rig) seems way too long to run off of a dipsey?

Thanks!

And yet another weird thing this year, guys taking lots of hits on meat. Seems a bit early.

I was running a Green Casper Kingfisher II w/ a Rhys Davis Green Glow/Green Triple Tease on a wire dipsy set on 1 1/2 back 248 and a Blue Casper Kingfisher II w/ a Rhys Davis BlueGreen Glow/ lt. Blue Triple Tease on Wire dipsy set on 1 1/2 back 268 and the last meat rig that I had out was the Spin Docter Blue Holo/Crush Glow with a Chrome Blue/Green Rhys Davis head on the rigger 30 behind and 120 down.

The Raider Mag. Chicken Pox Spoons were on the riggers 8 back and 100-130 down.

another question.

I'm hesitant to run the meat off the dipseys cause it would be too long for netting. Are you running short leaders on the dipseys?

My leaders are usually 7-8 so I'm guessing attaching the meat rig and spinnie would make it about 12 feet long. Hard to control these wild spring kings with 12 feet of gear out at the boat

another question.

I'm hesitant to run the meat off the dipseys cause it would be too long for netting. Are you running short leaders on the dipseys?

My leaders are usually 7-8 so I'm guessing attaching the meat rig and spinnie would make it about 12 feet long. Hard to control these wild spring kings with 12 feet of gear out at the boat

I only run a 4' lead to the spinnie then the meat rig on a 9' 6" Heartland so all together it's no longer then the rod.

Thanks Steve,

I was questioning the choice of 9 1/2 foot rods for inside dipsey's but now I see the wisdom in em. Definitely add the meat on a dipsey to my arsenal

I like the 9'6" rod to help get the dipsy out around my out side riggers. All of my dipsy rods are 9'6" heartland diver rods. I have not had a problem running wire through them and this is starting my 3 season with them. Now with that been said, they are now making some sweet rollor rod. The Okuma Convector GL Roller Rods are nice but only come in 8' and 8'6", Shimano Talora Wireline roller rods are also nice and they come in a 7', 8', 9', 10', but all these roller rods are pricey.

Shimano Talora Wireline roller rods are also nice and they come in a 7', 8', 9', 10', but all these roller rods are pricey.

They are just coming out with the 9' and 10' with a swivel tip. I have seen this rod at the Sport RV show in Grand Rapids. On Shimano's website it shows a price of $189.95 :eek: