Where to fish!

Ok, let’s discuss a bit of different topic.

Where to fish!

No, not what port, but where in the lake. You have not been to this port in over a month. Pick any port, same things apply. How do you go about choosing depth of water, north or south, how deep to run the riggers, what presentations and which lures? Downloading the water temps help, reading the online reports help and even the weather patterns from the last few days. But where do you start?

I have several things that have worked and failed in the past, as I am sure each of you as well. Anyone want to share their secrets?

Mark

Whenever we arrive to a new port, for a tournament, the first thing we do is look at what direction the wind has been blown for the previous three days. We then see what the surface temperature is in various locations, either when running down or trolling, and make comparisions, whether it was colder or warmer or the same after the wind blew and what direction that water moved because of currents and the wind. Next, we would look at Coastwatch to confirm the satellite temperatures.

Next, the most important thing I think, is to figure out the direction of the current. The current, I believe, is the most important factor in determining where fish will be and how they will bite. There can be two currents, an upper and a lower, going opposite directions of one another. I believe knowing the current can be a difference in catching 5 fish or 25 fish.

The time of the year is always a determining factor in where to begin, as well as location of the port in comparision to the time of the year.

We then would begin to look for the thermocline on the Fish Finder. We would take a down temperature with the Fish Hawk periodically, but not use it all the time. (Not a huge fan of the Fish Hawk)

Lastly, we combine the current, water temperatures and thermocline, and location of the port with the time of the year. We then figure out the "normal" migratory patterns of the fish based on previous experiences. Time of year and water temperature are the determining factors in whether or not to use Flashers and Flies, Spoons, Cut Bait, or Plugs.

It is hard to explain, I can tell because I am having a hard time, haha. It seems to come more natural and just happens because we are on the lake everyday, all summer long. Basically, using what you know about the current, water temperatures, and wind are the BIG THREE factors I would tell anyone to begin looking at and work from there to begin building a knowledge base.

If the port has structure near it I go to the structure. (Bank, drop, hole.)

Look for temp/thermo in that area. If that don't work we get as many lures out as we can and start runnin'.

Need to figure that current thing out better this year.

Please explain the currents. I understand the underwater currents as I too have a speed and down temp at the ball. Knowing that you have an underwater current and even the force of that current, how to intrgrate that knowledge into your program? Is it the troll direction? that would make the most sense.

As far as temp goes, I am in complete agreement on the surface temps from the satalite, looking for the most extreme temp breaks. I am in complete agreement as to the thermoclines as well. The temps have everything to so with fish location.

Now I pose the next question. I understand the current and it's role in the action of the trolled lure. I understand the temp as to the fish locations. Now that one knows all these things, how do go about choosing lures and colors. Are you fishing memories? What worked yesterday should work today, but we are talking about a section of water that you have not been on in over a month or a year.

Mark

This sucks, I had typed a big long response and it isn't here. I probably hit preview or something stupid and now it is gone :(.

Heck...I once hit a wrong button and deleted a whole website :eek:

This may sound a little crazy or illogical because it depends on nothing. It has worked in New Buffalo, St. Joe, and Ludington. It almost seems magical. I simply take a 310 to 320 heading out of port to 80 FOW and drop lines -- it's worked for me. But then I don't do as much fishing as you guys do. :)