Wire Line

GLF

There are several types and sizes of wire for trolling.

I prefer 30 lb. stranded stainless and I believe this is the most widely used for Salmon on the Great Lakes.

I use it only for my diver rods and rarely in less than 75' of water. I run a bead and large snap swivel on the end of this set-up. Snap directly to the dipsey and finish the set up according to the conditions.

Capt. Levi has it right on wire line size.

I usually will run wire for dipseys only but sometimes run it straight down the chute with a lead weight on the snap to get it down. In this case I will tie a mono leader to the snap swivel at the end of the wire.

A 1000 ft spool of 30 lb braided wire line will just fill a Daiwa SG 47 LCA line- counter reel. I put a few wraps of leadcore line around the reel arbor and tie the wire to that with a uni-knot (lead removed from the end of the leadcore). You could use more leadcore backer or even large dia mono if your reel has more capacity. To fasten the snap swivel to the end of the wire I use a simple slip knot - the arbor knot without a stop knot in the tag end works well. I have found this works much better than crimping on a sleeve.

I use rods with roller guides for wire. Even then the wire will coil up at the end after a while and sometimes get a kink in it if you are not careful and must be cut off. You can also reverse the wire.

wire with drop weights was my #1 setup last year. I had 2 in the water anytime I was 50 FOW or more. I run 100 ft of wire on Okuma Convector 30's on 9'6 Diawa Heartlands with Twilli Tip. I have used roller ros but really like a regular rod alot better. I have come to the conclusion that it is worth replacing a rod once in awhile due to wire eating guides.

Dave

• 3 months later...
I see one post saying they use a backing. What about others. Are you using a backing, or do you only put on wire?

Personal preference Double,doesn't really matter IMO.

I don't bother with backing,1000 ft of 30 lb seven strand wound on tight.