Black Light Box

Plans are not needed - Take an old tackle box and gut out the inside. Fasten a black light to the inside of the cover. Use the type of 12 volt black light that has plug adapter for auto or boat and charge on the way to boat ramp in car or on boat during way out.

But if you are really want a good charge on your baits use a uv light, although they are dangerous to your eyes they do a better job. I have one that is in a mini mag-lite and holster it right on my belt. Although a little pricy it is almost indistructable. I got tired of the cheep plastic black lights.

I built a black light box last night. I went to Gander and purchased a 12 volt cig plug light. I cut up one of my old tackle boxes and inserted the light in the lid. Tell you what, that charged the lures perfectly. It was great!!!! It's nice to pick out the spoons you think you are going to use and stick them in the box. Open the box and you have a freshly charged spoon everytime!

Started out with your average everyday ordinary POS plastic tool box that was lying around.

9" x 9" x 18"

LightBox003.jpg

A little white vinyl paint on the insides for El Maxo Reflecto and badabing I have a light box.

LightBox002.jpg

To hang the lures I sheathed 1/4" allthread with 1/4" surgical tubing and placed cap nuts on the ends after running them through the sides of the box . It seems to hook the barbs in nice and hold them in place. The light source came from Cabela's it has a dual function white florescent and black light. I'm not sure how bright it will charge the lures yet but after 30 bones for supplies I hope better that the average $14.95 120v blacklight that I could plug into my inverter. We'll see.. I think theres also enough room for a couple of 8 or 11" flashers

Hey watch it there pal..

Used the light box on a trip out to St Joe this past weekend and it worked pretty well. I still gave the lures a quick does of light from the spreader lights before they hit the water just for the hell of it but the light box will stay on the boat for keeps. It will also give me a place to store more of my glow lures.

Looks good! Let us know how it works. Just make sure you come "out of the closet"

• 2 months later...

Who can tell me how long the lures that are in one of these black boxes lasts?

I experimented with a black light(did not have it in a box like this) that I picked up from Gander Mountain. The glow was never very bright and it did not last longer than 20 minutes after being under the light for an hour.

It sure would be nice if you could get one something that will charge the lures for over an hour.

I have an idea. I am going to gather some things up and put something together. I will test it out and let everyone know my results.

I've used spotlighs like you've mentioned, spreader lights, and my light box. The sun seems to work best. Second best I would say would be a 110VA/C flourescent grow light as this will give the most accurate light spectrum in relation to sunlight. The black light/flourescent light gadget seems to get the job done well but the logevity of the glow on baits is not as long as the sunlight exposure. I added another light fixture to my box and it seems to do the trick for the most part. I don't think brightness seems to have a lot to do with the effectiveness of the glow baits.