Meat Rigs?

Meat Rigs?

Meat rigs? What's your favorite rig? Type of meat? Leader length? Teaser (tinsil/ squid)? Best attractors (flasher)? 

New to the meat game and have had limited success just want to see what's working for others. I appreciate the advise!

Big Weenie, John King, and Spin Doctors are all good for me. Herring strips are pricey but work and are easy to use. Most meat rigs are already tied for length and I use flies more than squids. The local tackle store can let you know whats been hot. There is a lot to chose from but just ask around where your fishing and you'll find whats working.

I run meat rigs behind spin doctors, 10" flashers and the larger 12" flashers.  I always use the tinsel teasers with whatever length the manufacture assembled them in.  I don't make my own.  I will usually run the meat on my 200 coppers and below.  

Some of the meat heads are designed for full herring, not strips.  I always fish with strips and I've made the mistake of buying some that are designed to hold a full herring head.  I've used them with strips, but honestly I don't recall how well they have produced compared to the ones designed for strips.

I've got a 10" spotted dick flasher that produces well on a wire diver for me.  And a 12" blue haze flasher that I will run on a 200, 250 or 300 copper that works well.  I'd like to get Kevin's Girlfriend in the water, but they always seem sold out of those when I look for them.

20170712_085629.jpg

Big Weenie seems to be the brand of choice for many meat anglers. Thanks for the info. one more thing though. Do you ever lengthen the lead from the last teaser to the meat head? I have been advised it should be slightly longer than the teaser-to-teaser length. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...