wilderness trolling rods??

sherman51

who has used them? are they a good rod for divers? will they last?

I bought some of the 8' m action for diver rods but haven't used them yet. would like to get feedback on them. I bought them from fishusa.com for 15.95 and got free shipping. I think they are made in china and are made of glass. but what isn't made in china these days?? LOL. I like glass much better where sensitivity isn't a factor. the glass seems to stand up better to being stressed over o long period of time than graphite rods do.

your opinions means a lot so lets have them.

For the money they are not a bad rod. I'm not so sure about using a medium action for divers -- maybe for walleye but for salmon I'd want a med-heavy and also probably go with an overall better quality rod.

Yep. Heavy action, I run heavy action Okuma dipsy rods, 8 and 81/2 footers. The only Issue I have had is loose fitting ferrule and 1 reel seat that spun. I use the 8 footers with a twill tip for my wire dipsy's and the 8 1/2 footers for my high divers usually power pro. They are really durable rods. Have not broken a wire rod in 3 seasons.

I have used the 8.5ft medium action wilderness rods with power pro 30 for a few years. They have worked well for me. Very easy to read the tips when small fish are on. I have only used the regular dipseys though. Not sure how they would work with the mags. Planning on switching to 9.5ft MH rods over the winter and running mags next year. Can't beat them for the price.

I've been using other brands of m actions rods with my divers for yrs now and the rods did good for walleye on erie. but the old rods didn't match, I had 2 rods of one brand and 2 rods of another brand and 2 more rods of yet another brand. now I have all 6 rods of the same brand.

I went out to the local lake and put out my divers with the new wilderness m rods running 1.8 to 2.0 and they seem to be working good. I don't know how they would work for salmon where you troll faster speeds but I think for walleye there going to work good. they have a good bend in them and should be easy to read the rods when a small fish is on.

I want to thank all you guys for your feed back. and welcome any more feed back.

I've been using other brands of m actions rods with my divers for yrs now and the rods did good for walleye on erie. but the old rods didn't match, I had 2 rods of one brand and 2 rods of another brand and 2 more rods of yet another brand. now I have all 6 rods of the same brand.

I went out to the local lake and put out my divers with the new wilderness m rods running 1.8 to 2.0 and they seem to be working good. I don't know how they would work for salmon where you troll faster speeds but I think for walleye there going to work good. they have a good bend in them and should be easy to read the rods when a small fish is on.

I want to thank all you guys for your feed back. and welcome any more feed back.

My buddy bought 2 of these a couple of seasons ago and they worked well enough that I bought a couple as backups to my 6 Shimano TDR's which incidentally have been trouble free for well over a decade, and are also quite affordable. We don't use the Daiwa's for dipsey's as they are not MH actions, which is the least I would recommend for that application. But for DR fishing they have been fine. Not being a heavy user, 3-4 multi day trips a year being typical, I cannot speak to whether they would hold up to more use than that. But they are affordable as I took advantage of a similar deal at fishusa also. If you are a heavy user, I'd recommend a better rod. After all it is only money right? :no:

I used all DR862MHR on ALL my set-ups (dipsies, downrigger, and leadcore) with the exception of my long copper lines (300 - 400'). I've never had a problem with them! Some of mine have seen 4 seasons without a problem. They fit well in the boat for storage and they seem to hold up well.

I've used the Okuma Classic Pro copper/leadcore 8.5 ft rods for my long line copper and 2 of the 3 the tips have broken off. Not happy about that for the cost. I replaced the tips with Twili-tips so I could continue to use those rods. I've never had to do anything with the Daiwa Wilderness rods.

I've purchased mine from Northwoods Outfitters in Pinconning Their website is a pain to work, but a call to them works well

https://northwoodsoutlet.net/product-category/fishing/

This website has the rods at a great price....

http://equipmentfishing.blogspot.com/2011/11/daiwa-wilderness-trolling-rods-model-8.html