Lead Core Line???

GLF

When talking lead core line, I have heard people talking "half core" and "full core". I have also heard colors referenced.

Will someone explain the difference between half core and full core? What are the colors and what are they for?

Thanks

Lead core is a braided line which has an inner core of lead. This lead provides weight to get it down to the depth you want to fish. The braider ouer core has a diiferent color every 10 yards, thus guy referring to a number of colors. A full core is 10 colors or 100 yards, a half core is 5 colors or 50 yards. You fill your reel with backing, add the lead core, and then a 50 - 100 ft leader which goes to the lure of choice. You can run any lure you want off the end of the line. These lines tend to get very long and can be tricky to handle in heavy boat traffic. You can also use leadcore lines to spread you horizontal presentation by using planer boards. You let out the leader, let out the core, let out some backer and then attach the board sending it out to the side awat from the boat. The best board is a Church Walleye Board. Never attach the board to the core line, only the backer.

Just like everything else, leadcore has its days. Due to the fact that is is far away from the boat and a bunch of cannonballs, some spooky fish will take leadcore lines when nothing else is working. It can be difficult to target an exactr depth with core however. The length of the core, type of lure, currents, and speed of the boat all affect the depth of where your core is running. Its a greta searching tool to get you going and them dial it in from there.

Dave

Dave hit the nail on the head.

Leadcore accounts for a very large percentage of the fish we catch on my Charterboat. The only time we don't run leadcore are:

1.Too shallow water

2.Tight proximity to other boaters (pierheads)

3.Too rough of seas

I would only digress with Fishdog on a couple thoughts.

1. You CAN attach your inline board directly to the lead core if you are just an occassional fisherman. A frequent fisherman would find doing so often will weaken the nylon sheathing from wear at the pinch point, and eventually the line will break.

2. While the Church boards are most used and a very good product, I prefer the Offshore boards, they track way better than the Church boards. They do require an after market rear release though for best results.

Good Luck!

Capt Levi

Thanks for the replies Dave and Capt Levi. Your answers have raised more questions.

A full core(100yds) has 10 colors. How many different colors are there on the line? Are you counting the colors when you are setting the line, or can you look at the color and know how much you have out?

Leader lengths - You mentioned 50 - 100 ft of leader. What do you achieve by using the different length leaders? Do you vary the lengths from spring to fall?

Backing - What pound test backing do you put on your reel.

Rods - Do you use different rods for lead core than down riggers? What about rod length?

Life span of lead core - How long will the lead core last before it needs to be changed? The weekend angler probably will not wear it out. What about charter boats? How long/often do they change the lead core?

Most spools of lead core come in either 100yds(single spool), or 200 yds (dbl. spool).;although some of the better great lakes trolling stores have bulk spools in excess of 1000 yds.

If you can only afford a couple rods, spool them with 10 colors and let out different lenth of colors to achieve different depths.(about 4.5 ft depth per color). If you can afford the time and have space, use 10 color, 5 color, 2-3 color. I use 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 2.5 on my charter, but even with a very large room this many rods take up an awful amount of space.

I retie new leaders often. Leader lengths are your own preference. I start with 70' and run them down to about 15'-20'. The fish still bite em. I only respool the lead core when it has too many splices or shows too much wear on the sheathing.

I use 25 lb. test backing. Take two identical reels, put on your ,leader, then lead core, then finish filling it with backing. Tie it to second reel and transfer it to put the backing on the bottom; then add your leader. If you have a line counter, you just found out how much backing to use!

Rods are your own preference also. I prefer 9' medium action.

Good Luck!

After rereading what I wrote the second time and seeing the responses, I think I need to clarify something.

I realize there are 10 colors to a full core. How many different colors(red, green, blue or whatever color) are there. Can you just look at your real and see a certain color and know how much link you have out?

I usually use back-to-back uni-knots after removing about 6 inches of lead from the leadcore line. Remove the lead by sliding back the outer sheath and breaking the lead off. This works well. Using 20 lb mono, four wraps is sufficient with the mono and even less wraps will be ok for the leadcore. If you use small diameter backing like braided line, then double the braided end so that the small diameter line will not cut the end of the leadcore. Check your knots frequently as you put the line out.

Another way I've heard good reports about is as follows:

Strip out 8"-10" of lead from the leadcore line. In this dacron sheath that has no lead, make a single overhand knot but DO NOT tighten it down. Then take one end of backing or leader and insert it as far into the dacron line as you can get it. Then work the overhand knot down until you know that when you tighten the knot, it will be over the backing or leader. I have not used this knot but believe it works for small diameter backing or leader line - don't know if the 20 # mono can be slipped into the sheath or not.

Re: Colors

I believe it is safe to say that most people who use leadcore a lot let all the leadcore out so that it is beyond the tip of the rod and past the inline planer board if one is used. This is because of bad experience with the lead core line wearing particularly at the rod top guide and breaking off later. If inline boards are used, the constant motion causes a lot of wear. If no board is used, then the wear is not as bad but can still cause problems after a while. I usually run half cores and/or full cores. If I want to get down deeper than these will go, I add sinkers via snap weights on the backer side of the backer/leadcore knot and then let the line out some more. This way you can get the half core to run as deep or deeper than the full core depending on the weight used and the amount of backer let out.

Even if you leave some leadcore line on the reel it is best to count the colors as you put the line out unless you have line counter reels because you usually can't be sure of the order of the repeating colors on the line unless you are sure to do it the same way every time, don't ever splice in more line to fix a broken line, etc.

In a full core there are 10 different colors, but I don't believe they are standard between different manufacturers, I know some of them add a color chart with the spool of lead core, I still have one atached to the boat, but it doesn't match the core I currently run.

I don't believe there is a set color between manufactures. But the color is consistent if you by from one manufacturer. Also if you rig multiple reels with same length core such as (2) 2 colors, (2) 3 colors, and (2) 5 colors (like I did for Midway97) you can work it out so that just by looking at the color on the outside of the reel you will know how many colors are on that reel. For example: both Wayne's 2 colors have the blue color on the outside and his 3 colors will have yellow and his 5 colors have green. That way you know I want to run a 3 color core for the depth I'm in. you can just grab the reels with the yellow core showing.

Steve

I don't believe there is a set color between manufactures. But the color is consistent if you by from one manufacturer. Also if you rig multiple reels with same length core such as (2) 2 colors, (2) 3 colors, and (2) 5 colors (like I did for Midway97) you can work it out so that just by looking at the color on the outside of the reel you will know how many colors are on that reel. For example: both Wayne's 2 colors have the blue color on the outside and his 3 colors will have yellow and his 5 colors have green. That way you know I want to run a 3 color core for the depth I'm in. you can just grab the reels with the yellow core showing.

Steve

I thought I was going to have to figure that all out when I got the rigs, now I can tell them apart sight unseen:D :D :D

What are the specific colors of lead core? Is there a standard "color code" between manufacturers?

So far I have heard green, yellow, and blue. What are the rest of the colors on a 10 color spool?

So far I have heard green, yellow, and blue. What are the rest of the colors on a 10 color spool?

Again, no standard between MFG's but red, tan brown couple shades of blue, black, silver.... basically buy a spool and if you want it standard, stick with that MFG. :o:)

• 1 month later...
What are the specific colors of lead core? Is there a standard "color code" between manufacturers?

Here is one manufacturers break down on colors.

1 - Gray

2 - Lt. Blue

3 - Yellow

4 - Brown

5 - Green

6 - Orange

7 - Black

8 - Red

9 - Tan

10 - Dk. Blue

Originally post by JJ Mac

Another way I've heard good reports about is as follows:

Strip out 8"-10" of lead from the leadcore line. In this dacron sheath that has no lead, make a single overhand knot but DO NOT tighten it down. Then take one end of backing or leader and insert it as far into the dacron line as you can get it. Then work the overhand knot down until you know that when you tighten the knot, it will be over the backing or leader. I have not used this knot but believe it works for small diameter backing or leader line - don't know if the 20 # mono can be slipped into the sheath or not.

This is called the Willis Knot. I use it and never have had any problems, plus it is very easy to tie.

I use 27lb. The weight rating only applies to the strength of the sheath and does not mean there is anymore lead inside than a lighter weight. Fact is, the lighter test lead core will drop deeper because there is less outer sheath that would make it more buoyant.

• 3 weeks later...