Starcraft project boat question

Hi guy's, bought a 1972 24 foot Starcraft Chieftan as a project boat. She runs fine but needs lots of tlc. She's never been rigged for fishing. I fish Superior and ocassionally Michigan and want to get her dialed in. Only paid $800 for it, trailer included. I have downriggers, boards, all the gear and was wondering if any of you have any pictures of a boat like her that's similar or same so I can get some ideas. I have a bigjon mast for my small boat and want to use the reels off of that and somehow fabricate trees with these attached. It has a newer camper top and was wondering if anyone else has one and built/uses rocket launchers. Any tips are appreciated.

my only thought is i would not attach the reels to the rod trees. i have not used big boards that much but would think you want the reels and as much of the line as far forward of the rods as possible. i am sure you will get lots of tips and at $800 will end up with a nice fishing machine. though you will probably end up like me and have way more $ into the rigging of an old boat than the purchase price. if you get the chance post some pics as you go along. good luck !

This is what I did. You can call neal at the walker repair facility in Allegan and he has all the parts. I used the old walker motors as they are slower the new motors are to fast. he had used ones at the time for 35 each and I fabbed the rest. I am not sure how much the big jon motors are separately got a couple reverse polarity switches to go into the dash wire it up and I can control my board all from the helm. I had about 150 into the whole project including the mast.

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32903

Aaron, sweet set up, alas, my mast is manual. You did give me some good idea though the way it's designed. Boat is under wraps and I have one picture of her which I'll find later and post. By design, I believe I will have to mount my mast system on each side and at about mid ship. She has a big cuddy and I don't think I will be venturing out on the gunwales to get up front when it's choppy out:eek:. Another problem is the dog house is a large cover that goes from side to side. We want to build a standard doghouse, but that would leave little room to get to the corner riggers. Might have to build a rail system and just step up on the exisitng cover. The corner riggers would be on the rail. I know it's hard to envision and wish I took more pictures before putting her to sleep for the winter.

First off great price on the Chieftain. I too have a 72 24' Chieftain that I completely restored. It took me 2 years to complete and was finished in August this past year but well worth the wait.

Before and after pics:

b2.jpg

a_zpsfd4c1adb.jpg

I have her outfitted with 4 downriggers mounted to the boat on a board via Eagle Feet. The manuals have since been replaced with electrics. I run a dual planer mast off the bow. I deploy the boards through the front hatch although it is a tight fit. I plan on mounting the reels toward the windshield to alleviate that. I have 2 sets of rod holders mounted on the gunwales for the planer rods. I am sure you will love the boat as she has a lot of room and can handle some water.

s2_zps9c7ea301.jpg

Good luck with her and lets see some pics. A brief version of my rebuild can be found here: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/completed-boat-projects/8996487-1972-starcraft-chieftain-restoration

I am looking to build an arch with forward extension so I can add a vinyl removable top. I plan to add a drop from the extension to somewhere near the front windshield not only for support but to add the reels there. This will give me easy access to the reels from the helm. Remember though, the further forward you run the riggers the more prone they can be to be swayed under the boat and into the prop either by large waves or currents. Best bet to keep them back.

Corners then sides is where I would like them. I want the back open for fish fighting. I know lots of people put them where you do and seem to have no problem. What size power house do you got? Mines a 302. Wondering what she will hit at top speed. Bought it with muffs on so no idea how much she's capable of.

Thank you Frank! Appreciate the welcome. I was on this site years ago but decided to jump back in. I know I can get lots of help and ideas for setting up the boat. Very excited to begin. I retire in five years and plan to have her cherried out so I can spend as much time as possible on the water trolling.

Edited by Big Country
Misspelled

Turfwrench, I really like the smoked windows on your Chieftan. Did you do that yourself or have it professionally done? The glass on my Chieftan is perfect, but knowing from past adventures on the big pond I realize it would benefit significantlly if I had mine smoked. Wondering if the old car do it yourself window film would work.