easy troller trolling plate???????

sherman51

I don't see any reason it shouldn't. They just bolt to the cavitation plate on the outdrive.

That said, I wouldn't do the trolling plate. Used them for years back through the 70's and 80's. They do work but also cause issues and eventually you will mess it up by either leaving it down when you try to get on cruise or have it trip by mistake. While down, the plates also impede maneuverability of the boat. There are better alternatives.

I would get a set of trolling bags to match your boat. In addition to slowing the boat they will also make the boat more stable in rougher seas by dampening the side to side roll of the boat. Bob at Big Papa Sportfishing makes great bags as do the guys at Amish Outfitters.

Another option is to use a pair of rubber buckets on lines tied off to the mid cleats. This is what I use on my boat to give me a better RMP range when trolling. More or less "mini" trolling bags. Very fast to deploy or bring in. The buckets are available at farm stores and have a sturdy steel handle that has held up for 10+ years for me. At about $12 each it is a pretty economical option. They nest inside each other for storage and can be used as buckets to rinse down the deck when needed.

I also have a set of Big Papa's bags that I use for getting the boat real slow or in a very fast following sea. I also use them as drift bags on Erie to slow down the drift -- but they are really the trolling bags.

Another side benefit of the bags is that they can be used as a sea anchor to keep the bow of your boat into the waves if you loose power. Important to prevent getting swamped in heavy seas.

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/trolling_bags.htm

http://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Ive used a happy troller plate on my boat for a few years.

It works, but can be a pain in the but for inconsistent speed and direction control, especially in waves.

Now I use buckets with one large 3 inch hole in the bottom. zero problems and a hell of a lot cheaper.

My dad had one (well three or four) when he had his boats. I bought bags and never considered using one of those PITA happy trollers. The bags work great and there is no forgetting to put the plate up and bending them or cracking the cavitation plate. Cost my dad a pretty penny on that mistake.

I used the happy troller for years on outboards and mercruisers and it worked ok until I took off with it in the down position. it bent so bad we had to quit trolling and fish for perch. when I got home I put it under my old motorhome and set a 10 ton jack on it to fix it. then I got an easy troller and its hinged about half way up and is spring loaded. I took off with it down one time and it worked like a charm. it didn't bend at all. but this last summer I used bags and do think they work alittle better than plates.

I have tried using buckets and they just didn't slow me down enough to do any good. I still have the easy troller on my mercruiser but I plan to use the bags.

I was asking about the Volvo outdrive for someone else. I didn't know if it would work with the easy troller or not.

thanks guys for all your replies.

sherman

can anyone tell me if the easy troller trolling plate will work on a Volvo penta outdrive???

sherman

It should work, email Ironwood who makes them and ask. Is your drive area flat enough to mount one? Do you have a transom overhang on your boat that will not blocking the release by the cord of the plate? I have one on my outboard which works great. I bought one for my mercruiser, but the new outdrive has a slightly curved surface so now I just keep it as a spare in case I damage my old one. They work great by the way. I have the wing attachment on it also.