After checking the near shore/off shore wave forecast knowing my dad was going to be aboard I made the decision to head up to Muskegon so I could get to deeper water while staying close to shore. Dad tends to get a little sea sick. Since we got to the launch early I decided to run all the way up to Duck Lake. I like fishing up there but haven't been able to in a while due to weather/time constraints. Put the boat on the last sand bar and ran 30 mph all the way up there. Set up in 60' on a west troll and took our first fish in 115' on a green scaly back Ace High 110' back on a mag wire diver on 1. Nice 6# coho that ended up being full of eggs. By the time we hit 150' we landed 2 more fish, a nice 10# steelie on a green/double crush glow SD and green fly from one of the last 2 DW tournies on a 300' copper and a 15# king on a full core w/ a mag Moonshine Shelley Snack. We also discovered our very close proximity to the nets that are set up just south of Duck Lake. We swung out around the net to 200' and fixed a small equipment issue and then headed back toward our targeted area of 115-145'. As we hit 140' we took a nice 8# coho on a Blue Bubble SD/ blue fly combo from one of the last 2 DW tournies. This was on a mag wire dipsey set 145' back. We started swinging north and the 300' copper w/ the green spinny & fly started screaming, board dove and I thumb breaked it to get it back to the surface. As soon as I unhooked the board I could tell it had broke off. It was about then that I noticed the line of barely floating buoys marking a net running north & south. First time I have seen a net set on a north/south line out there. Figured I caught it on the net as we turned north. Luckily it only broke off the leader and nothing else tangled. We had an uneventful rest of the morning telling lies and I noticed a rigger standing up but don't know if we had a hit or not. We marked quite a few fish, some bait and a thermocline off & on around 70' down but couldn't get anything else to go. Also noticed a lot of weeds floating in the area. Not sure what that was about. Anyway, good luck if you get out.

The nets are getting ridiculous out of muskegon. Not like years past when they rarely moved position. And if they did the website was updated. Now it's surprise after surprise. Some are where they were others Ive marked are gone and pop up elsewhere. The best part is there are no coordinates online to help avoid them.

The nets are getting ridiculous out of muskegon. Not like years past when they rarely moved position. And if they did the website was updated. Now it's surprise after surprise. Some are where they were others Ive marked are gone and pop up elsewhere. The best part is there are no coordinates online to help avoid them.

I have only been doing this two years but I agree that I do not remember as many, as poorly marked, and as mobile nets last year.

100% agree with the nets being silly out of Muskegon. In fact, it used to be my main port but I go to Holland almost all the time now because I don't even want to mess with them. I've been out of Muskegon twice all year. Maybe if enough people did that it would send a message to whomever controls things.

A little reflective tape on those stupid sticks out there would go along way. We fish alot in the dark and there is always at least one oh &^%$ moment. We run two riggers and have side cutters by each one and a plan on what to do if/when we think we are going to be in them. Maybe someday someone with a really big boat will "accidently" hook them all and drag them all into a pile in 10 foot of water.:grin:

Actually there are less nets this year than normal since Paul is not fishing this year as his brother has health problems. Since it was Paul who put up all the net positions there have been no updates this year. Paul not only put up the info on his nets he put up the info on all the other nets in the area. They are after Whitefish so the nets only extend up about 20 to 30 ft off the bottom I have fished in and around them for years and have not caught one in close to 7 years. Yes they are a PITA but they also give structure to the bottom and I have caught a lot of Kings around the nets.

Back in early July we did very well with a nice 3 man limit of Kings and Steelhead out of Muskegon, but spent the whole day dodging nets. That really makes me a nervous wreck and is is not fun fishing at all. Consequently we have never gone back. I like to get out pretty early and it is hard enough to see the flags/staffs in daylight let along dark/dawn conditions.