2012 Turkey

EdB

Here is the short version and pics. He has got a 10-1/8†beard and a 1 inch and 7/8 inch spurs. The recap of my hunt is below.

2012_turkey.jpg

I had the 2nd general hunt this year and I’m hunting the Waterloo area. My hunt Monday was a wash out, got soaked in the AM, looked at the radar and went to work. Better to save my time off for a better day. Had a tough AM hunt day 2, silence when the birds hit the ground. Things got interesting mid day while running and gunning. Covered a lot of ground with no gobbles when I finally located one who wanted to talk. But he shut up and a few rounds of calls and gobbles back. Stayed a long time waiting and then hit the road, drove around the block and found out why he shut up. He was in the front yard of nearby house with another gobbler and 4 hens strutting. He was safe in that spot.

I snuck into a roost area on day 3 real quiet in the dark. As it got light, I realized I got too close. The gobbler sounded off in tree about 30 yards from me. I sat like a statue and he gobbled 6 times in the tree. At fly down, I learned there was a hen a bit farther away, she dropped down farther still and the gobbler glided down to her, about 60 yards out now. Another hen on the ground out of sight started yelping and they all went that way.

I got some breakfast and then back to running. Made a long circular walk through some good land and was getting close to the road that I’d take back to my truck. It’s about 11:00AM. I gave out one last loud yelp and a gobbler responds, probably 250 yards away across a ravine. I need to get to the other side to set up and as I crest the edge and about to go down, I kick out 3 hens and a different gobbler. They ran down the two track I was on and up the other side of the ridge toward the bird I was after. He gobbled again so he was not spooked. After the 2nd gobble, I knew I needed to be on the top of the other side of the ravine. I continued down and then up the other side. I started climbing up that side when I heard a loud wing beat. Figured the birds I spooked saw me and flew but then I heard it again and again. Then I see a turkey jump up and down and hear more wing beats. Its two gobblers fighting! I’m only 40 yards from the top and I can see them so they should be able to see me even though it is brushy between us but they don’t. They are so focused on fighting that they paid no attention to me. I can’t go straight at them due to thick stuff so I slowly circle around and up and they keep fighting. I can’t believe I made it to the top edge with out being seen since I could see them most of the way. I’m now about 60 yards away with a nice leafy bush to hide behind. The fight breaks up with one bird trotting off. I take my slate out and give a few clucks and the remaining gobbler goes to full strut. He puts his feathers down and I cluck a few more times and he starts walking my way. I put the slate down, grab the gun and he gets to 25 yards and I got to pull up to shoot. Fortunately, he just sticks his head up when I make my move and I drop him. Good luck to those of you still hunting!