Newbie question

I've caught lots of Steelies and Walleyes in the St Joe River below the Berrien Springs and Niles dams and have done ok with Coho off the pier but have always wanted to get out on the big lake and take a stab at the bigger fish and fishing techniques used out there. Last fall I finally went bigger then my 15 foot Smoker Craft I tool around the St Joe river with and stepped up to a 20' Wellcraft equipped with so much stuff I don't even know what it's for.

I may have biten off more than I can chew.

Four electric Walker downriggers, things the previous owner called sideplaners, and what are possibly downplaners, up-planers and just plain planers. Spools and spools of line, and multiple tackle boxes filled with clips, plugs, and gadgets I have no idea what their function is, and more spoons than a gypsy band. There is also a tall removable pole in the front center of the boat that looks suspiciously like a flag pole, but I suspect is used for something else, perhaps hanging someone in efigy.

I spent the last month of the season before storing it (late October/November) getting used to it, and teaching myself how to use the downriggers, which was no easy task in itself for someone with no experience. Lotsa pinched fingers. I spent the winter doing research over the intertubes on equipment and techniques, which was somewhat helpful. I don't know how I never stumbled upon this site until a couple of days ago, being as it's so close to home, but I've learned more here in two days than I did all winter.

I will say some of the info, although obviously helpful, is a little confusing to a noob such as myself, but I'm sure it will make more sense with time and experience. My first basic question however, concerns terminology about depth. When someone posts they were in 45 FOW, as in the following post:

"....From 2 p.m. to 5, 45 fow, just south of pier head, in and out of the mud line. 2 kings, 8 and 10 pounds, 3 average coho. All were on flatline with thinfish, 2 color with jointed rapala, 3 color with thin fish....."

does that mean their boat was in 45 feet of water, or running their lures at a depth of 45 feet?

I'll ask about the rest of the questions about that quoted sentence later. Thanks, and thanks for all the info on this forum.

yes you are right. fow means the water is 45 feet deep. it sounds like you have about all the gear your going to need. now what you need to do is get someone who knows alittle about fishing to go out with you a few times and get you started. you can fill a couple of empty seats when they are posted also. that is a good way to learn the ropes. most of the guys that post empty seats only expect alittle money for gas. some do expect alittle extra for towing gas. it costs to tow the boat to the water to you know.

i think its a good idea to talk with whoever your going out with, and make sure just whats expected of you. and it never hurts to do alittle extra. bring some extra sodas or food and maby offer to help clean the boat, and just help out. he may just ask you out again.

and i would say its a good idea to let them know your new to the game and your going to school.

and that post in the middle of your bow sounds like it might just be the post for your planer board reels. you could atleast ask if there is anyone that lives close to you that would be willing to come by and just go over what you have and how it is used. if i lived close to you i would love to come over and check out that new rig and all the gear. i,ve rambled on way to long, so i,ll watch for your questions, and if i think i can help i,ll chime in.

one more thing dont let all the gear intimadate you. i started with a 16 ft boat and 2 downriggers that belonged to a friend. then i got my own 16 ft boat and 2 home made riggers. but ended up braking the booms on them in some rough water. atleast your starting with the gear, you just have to learn how to use it now. right now i have a 28 ft sea ray with twin 4.3 6 cylender engines. i have 4 new big jon electric riggers, and have the double planer board mast and a custom set of planer boards that i hardley ever use any more. i am set up to run 4 divers on each side. i started with dipsy divers then switched to the walker divers, now i use the lite bite slide divers. and i also have a couple of outriggers. but i started big water fishing in 77, so i have spent many years and $$$$ getting where im at now. i always used manual riggers untill about 2 yrs ago. i just couldnt really justify the cost of electric. but 2 years ago i had alittle money and cranking those manual riggers was getting old, just like me,LOL. you can never have to much fishing gear,LOL. the best of luck to you.

sherman

Welcome John. I'm just three years into fishing the Great Lakes so I have some idea where you are coming from. There is a post in this site that has the definitions of the more commonly used acronyms which I found very helpful.

John,

"Four electric Walker downriggers, things the previous owner called sideplaners, and what are possibly downplaners, up-planers and just plain planers. " NICE!! I was dang near in tears while I was reading this. LMBO :lol:

Like the Sherm said....You could really benifit with a visit with one of the other fisherman in your area. Either on his boat or yours, hell... both if you got the time. Another thing you may want to do is a ride along with someone on their rig then on yours too. Just be willing to share in the trip expenses if going on someone else rig, and visa versa.

You know you have a fairly good grasp on this stuff once you understand the SWR!! (and no I am not telling you yet)

Keep up the great sense of humor ! And I am looking forward to your first fishing report.

Best of luck to you! :thumb:

Great introduction John!

The flag pole(planer board mast) is where you hoist the Jolly Roger when you start combat fishing. Once the other boats see that flag flying, they will move out of your way and the lake will be all yours! :D If they dont move out of your way just get your flare gun out and blast your way through. :D

You will see other terms used in salmon fishing. FOW, SOG, and you can't forget......SOB!

There is a GREAT group of guys/gals here with many years of knowledge who will help you out with any questions you may have. As the others have said, hop on a boat with someone who has been doing it for awhile to shorten the learning curve. :cool: You will also pick up LOTS of tips and tricks you will not get from reading. ;) If you do hop on board with someone else, dont just reel in fish. Ask questions(lots of them) and ask if you can help setting lines and such.

Oh yeah....we know how to have a little fun also. :cool:

Welcome aboard!

I would definitely try to have someone stop by and go over a few things with you. If you can't do that take pictures, and lots of them, of the things you are not sure about. It is very easy to post pictures to this site, especially with a photobucket or smartphone. From there we can determine exactly what you are referring to and give tips how to run it:)

Welcome aboard, John!!

OMG!! Some of the replies in this thread have me rolling!!

Total truth to the Jolly Roger flag!! And if someone starts yelling about their core over the radio, tell them to shut up and get outta the pack!! ;-)

Here's another one for ya....

DD 75 back on 3... hut hut!! :-0

Seriously, You will catch on quicker than you can imagine and will have a great time doing it!! There are a lot of great guys on here that are more than willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask anything at all.

Again, welcome to the addiction!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. I'll follow all your advice, pick your brains, and keep reading everything. I'm also ordering a Jolly Rodger.

Hey Medic, before I joined the Navy I lived outside of Blanchard.