Canon Digitrol II

The boat I'm purchasing has a couple of the older Cannon Digitrol II on it. They appear to work fine and seem in pretty good shape. I know the control pads sometimes go out and they aren't replaceable but I was wondering how good are these unit to use? Should I stick with them or try to get some money off the boat by not including them in the sale?

Thanks

We have 4 of them # we had convert to magazine 20 when the displays were fanged. We have yet to have a display go electronicaly wrong. 1 was drooped by my 5 yr old the other was cracked when was hit by a cannonball.

For 38$ you can change them over to a analog depth counter and a 3 way switch.

I have a pair.

I like them.

You set the depth leave drag semi loose, hit down and you can go set the other rod.

After a release hit auto up, ball stops at pre programed depth. Mine are set for 2 ft below the boat to keep them from hitting any thing. Hit auto up again and ball is at the top.

Have not had an issue with them. I've had them 3 yrs now.

Steve, did you have to do the threeway switch and line counter.

Yes on the two broken displays. I had to get a new spool $20 line counter and gear.

all came from fiah307.com. they have the part layout on their web site.

3 way switch with weather cover $8.99 online. Everything plugs together I

inside no need to crimp or solder anything.

Also we love them. It spoils us we r looking are the new DT 5 next winter.

• 1 month later...

I was just offered a very good deal on a set of Digi Troll II down riggers but have my reservations. I know that the electronics are no longer available from Cannon but was wondering how big a deal that is? Are they reliable enough that I shouldn't have any problem or is it just a matter of time before these become landfill material. Has anyone taken on repair of the control box? I know that the new ones are faster but these are about 2x the speed of my current Big Jons and I like the electronic control funtions like auto stop.

The seller does not have the manuals for the downriggers and I can't find any online. Does anyone know where I might be able to download a copy? Seems that Cannon does not support their legacy products very well but their product does have some nice features.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

I did pick them up. There was an extra display that did not work and I will probably try to depot the electronics and see if I can fix it. If I can find the LCD they would likely be an easy fix.

Still need a manual if anyone has one that they could scan?

Thanks,

Greg