Ais ?

Turfwrench

Does anyone here utilize an AIS receiver? If so, could you share a little info on it. As I fish mainly southern Lk. Huron I encounter a lot of freighter traffic. A vast majority of the time in the summer is spent fishing in and around the up bound and down bound shipping lanes. On clear days we can see them coming and adjust our troll but on those foggy days.....well you get the picture. I have done some research on them and think this is an item I would like to use as my GPS unit supports it.

ps2.jpg

AIS works when both boats are registered and on the same system

we have all thesse goodies on our demo boat to show people how they work

best to stay far away from shipping lanes in the fog or have a good radar

the comercial traffic has to stay in the shipping lanes when traveling from port to port

even then a barge tow cable will not show up on radar

a simple cheap radar reflector may be you best safety device to make sure the big ships see us in the fog but then again some one has to be looking at the radar screen these big ships can easily run you over and never realize it

STAY OUT OF THE SHIPPING LANES IN THE FOG

008shrunkdash3.jpg

fitzpicshadow.jpg

Bill, I don't know anything about AIS, but I totally agree with prop nut on the shipping lanes. Even in Lk. Michigan, way out deep in over 500' of water, these big freighters are nothing to ignore or take for granted that they will see you. I've been too close a few times, and have learned the hard way. Especially if foreign ships, they really are not always following our rules of the road. Hope you find what you need in AIS. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Update:

After a lot of research this spring I purchased a Standard Horizon GX2100 Matris AIS radio, price around the $250 mark. Installation was a breeze and easily hooked up to my SH plotter with both NMEA in and out ports. I can say that I am well pleased with the AIS function. The below pic shows a freighter in the upbound shipping lane (the triangle with directional pointer). By moving the cursor over the ship it will display the ship name, course, speed, time to closest point of approach, and distance to closest point of approach.

0407020916.jpg

Now I have plenty of time to adjust my trolling pattern to move clear of these ships. I have also seen that there are other boats that send out AIS signals, mostly blow boats.

The DSC feature is a wonderful item. I have read past post on this and would highly suggest that if you have this feature on your radio that you utilize it. Obtain a free MMSI number from BoatUS and input that # in your radio. One of my fishing buddies got my old Cobra radio and got his MMSI, now we can send position request back and forth digitally without others seeing our locations. When I send him a PR it pops up on my plotter and shows me exactly where he is so if he is on fish I can navigate towards him without letting the fleet know.

I also got to observe the DSC Distress function in action. Apparently a boat was in distress on the Canadian side of the lake but once the signal was sent out the alarm went off and the boats position was displayed on my plotter. Wow, this certainly could be a lifesaver! So if you have DSC and a plotter be sure to hook it up and obtain your MMSI. According to the Coast Guard information 90% of distress calls received did not contain position information and 60% did not contain registered identity. You may read more here : http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtDsc

For me, this was a great investment. Not only am I pleased with AIS function and the position polling, I also have a greater comfort knowing that if I ever had to use the distress function others would be able to locate my boat.

i know it is not a replacement for AIS but there is an app for Iphones and Droids called Ship Finder. It shows location, travel info and ship description for ships all over the world. Again, not a replacement for AIS but a handy little "tool."

I have been trying to get more guys to use the DSC for years most seem to think it is just a distress call. The fact is that it is more like your cell phone in via radio. You can make personal calls or even group calls. Exchange positions at the touch of a button. With the right radio and plotter setup and adding AIS a group can watch in real time as each others trolling patterns change and positions update. So if you share your MMSI number with your friends you never need to say where your fishing over the air. So when a friend says hey we are doing pretty good here 89ft down on green spoons he does not have to tell the whole world where he is or what direction he is trolling you will see it on your screen.

Another advantage is if you ever have to push the red button any friends who have you in their radio will also see your distress and may be a lot closer than the Coast Guard. But since very few actually monitor ch 16 one of your friends could need help and you might not even know it.