Michigan Fishing License Requirements

I have a question about the license requirements/interpretation of them for Michigan. With my new boat I am planing on bringing a bunch of first timers out on the water.

If I only fish the number of poles allowed for the number of licensed/eligible (under 17) persons on the boat and only keep the limit for the said individuals, can I still get in trouble if I have people with who don't have a license? I know I can have them with, but can I let them catch fish (not posses).

I'm curious how others do it. I don't want to break any laws or getting in trouble, but at the same time I don't want to make the guys I take along go and buy licenses if its the only time they will ever be out. (I know there are 24 and 72hr licenses, but they're still $7 and $21)

Thanks

Ben

As far as I know If you have a pole in your hand you most have a license ,Some c.o have gone as far as ticketing some people even holding and netting the fish. I have seen this happen in one of our state parks at the end of the season with the run. The 17year dose not have to have one if they are with a parent.

luremaker

i would have them spend the 7 dollars not worth the chance cause a fine is a lot nore

I agree with phill. for $7 its not worth it. with the economy the way it is they are looking for any reson to write tickets.

these guys are right if they do anything to assist in any way they are fishing. they cant drive the boat net fish tie baits on or even bait a hook to be legal he cant even hand someone elce the net or bait or rod. they cant do anything that assists in fishing. or thats what i,ve been told. and i know thats the way it is in indiana. i talked to the dnr at one of the boat shows and that what he told me. if they wanted to really push it they could probably get you for driving them to the boat.LOL. just buy the 1 day or 3 day permit. you might not even get checked but who would want to take the chance??

sherman

you still might get a ticket for them being on the boat while you are fishing.when you are running dogs,everybody involved even just riding along in the truck must have a licence.most lickly will depend on what co you run into.like the rest of the guys suggested make them buy a daily pass for $7 and avoid the problem alltogeather.

It costs me well over $100 every time I tow my Four Winns to the lake and run around for a while. If you can't find $7 for a day license, I don't need you on my boat.

If you can't get one the night before or on-line and make me tow the boat all over the place during the prime time to be fishing, don't yell at me when my friend has 8 in the cooler before we launch.

It costs me well over $100 every time I tow my Four Winns to the lake and run around for a while. If you can't find $7 for a day license, I don't need you on my boat.

If you can't get one the night before or on-line and make me tow the boat all over the place during the prime time to be fishing, don't yell at me when my friend has 8 in the cooler before we launch.

VERY TRUE. i completely agree

I see where you are going but that's not really the way I look at it. I just like bringing people with me, especially if they haven't ever or rarely get the chance to fish. If we catch fish, great, it makes it more fun, if not, well we got to spend time on the water :)

the best thing for u to do is just have them buy a day permit and be on the safe side cause on lake michigan there could be a lot of gray area .or go to gold coast and ask for b. j . the c.o. phone and call him and find out what he thinks

Although i agree with most on the part of rod count, handling fish, fishing equipment etc, i would find it pretty lame to be ticketed for driving a boat or just being a passenger and not participating. Particularly if creel and rod count are in line with licensing on board. To me being a passenger or driving the boat would be no different than sitting on the bank of a river with no rod and reel b.s.ing with a guy fishing. Are you gonna get ticketed for that if you dont have a license? I sure wouldnt think so. And if i did, you can bet id be in court.

Now, in closing, i cant imagine for one second getting on a boat and driving out on the great lakes as a passenger. There's such great fishing out there and why anyone wouldn't want to participate is beyond me...If i wanted to go for a boat ride id get a jet ski!!!! Have em get the day license and winch in some ><>....Itll be money well spent!

Although i agree with most on the part of rod count, handling fish, fishing equipment etc, i would find it pretty lame to be ticketed for driving a boat or just being a passenger and not participating. Particularly if creel and rod count are in line with licensing on board. To me being a passenger or driving the boat would be no different than sitting on the bank of a river with no rod and reel b.s.ing with a guy fishing. Are you gonna get ticketed for that if you dont have a license? I sure wouldnt think so. And if i did, you can bet id be in court.

Now, in closing, i cant imagine for one second getting on a boat and driving out on the great lakes as a passenger. There's such great fishing out there and why anyone wouldn't want to participate is beyond me...If i wanted to go for a boat ride id get a jet ski!!!! Have em get the day license and winch in some ><>....Itll be money well spent!

i know for a fact that in indiana they will in fact ticket someone for driving the boat with lines in the water. i seen it happen once. it doesnt matter how many lines are in the water. the driver is fishing if there is one line in the water.

i,ve seen people pay 5.00 for a cup of coffee, why would someone not want to spend 7.00 for a fun day on the water. and believe me i do understand that sometimes 7.00 can be hard to come up with. if i was wanting to spend a day on the water with some friends who i rarely get to spend time with i would come up with the money if they didnt have it. if i had to go pawn my car title. how many people are we talking about here anyway?? if its 6 then the total is 42.00, surely someone has 42.00 they can live without. im not even going into what i spent taking my 2 brothers and son up to lake erie last year. but it was a 1 time thing. i think they can pay there own way for us to go this year. JUST GET EVERYBODY TOGETHER AND TELL THEM HOW MUCH MONEY YOU HAVE TO COME UP WITH FOR LICENSE, AND POOL YOUR MONEY. if you dont come up with it just take them for a walk on the beach. we have had to do that a few times after driving 200+ miles then it be to rough to go out. SPEND THE MONEY AND GO HAVE A GREAT TIME. AND JUST FORGET ABOUT THE MONEY SO YOU CAN ENJOY IT.

SHERMAN

Get the license. The State can use the money. Besides $7.00 is a bargain for a day's entertainment. Sometimes being cheap is not cost effective. I don't fish that often and I'm out of state but I spent the money for the year's license to provide funds for things I support. I'm generous with money towards my interests. I will squeeze every penny I can out of tax paying though.

I see where you are going but that's not really the way I look at it. I just like bringing people with me, especially if they haven't ever or rarely get the chance to fish. If we catch fish, great, it makes it more fun, if not, well we got to spend time on the water

I've hosted people from 6 weeks to 83 years old, 3 countries, and 14 states on my boat. Routinely entertain customers and suppliers.

And everyone that's been old enough to have a license, has been made to buy a license.

Kind of fun when you swing by Meijer's and the 15 year old behind the counter is trying to figure out why guys from Scotland don't have driver's licenses....

I strongly agree with Adam Bomb and Pitmaster's posts. Both make reel good sense. I am surprised though about the driver being required to have a license, that's pushing it for me, but as AB stated, it's the best investment for all. Anyhow, what's more expensive, the $75 fine, or the $7 license? Have fun and enjoy our fintastic waters.

I strongly agree with Adam Bomb and Pitmaster's posts. Both make reel good sense. I am surprised though about the driver being required to have a license, that's pushing it for me, but as AB stated, it's the best investment for all. Anyhow, what's more expensive, the $75 fine, or the $7 license? Have fun and enjoy our fintastic waters.

A drivers license isn't required for every one, only if you are getting a resident fishing license. I if you don't have a driver's license, then you need to get a DNR sport card for identification along with the license ($1).

As to Kevin, that is actually what I had in mind. We regularly have people from our international plants here on visits and I have fun bringing them out on the lake. Letting a guy from Mexico who's only been fishing once before (also on my boat) fight a 16lber on a full core is fun for everyone on the boat :lol: