New to me purchase- Shimano 800

I just picked up a used Shimano 800(no LC) and was wondering what to look for when cleaning it. It looks like its been well used, but not recently.There is some grime and junk on the levelwind guide rod. It appears to be from dust geting in the grease and a spider nest. The rest of my reels are Okumas, so I wondering what might be lying in wait in this reel. Any problems that have been occuring with the Tekota's I should look for? Any problems with certain parts wearing or breaking that I should check?

Also, I'm wondering what I should put on it? I have several of reels with copper and several with leadcore. What setup is best for this reel? I currently have 2-300' 45#cu, 1-300' 32#cu, 1-150' 45#cu, 2-full core, 2-7 color, 1-5color, 4-4 color, 1-2 color, 1-1 color

Thanks for the thoughts,

If i were you i would take it to tuna, the go threw every little thing so your not gonna pay for it in the long run. i know of alot of charters that take all there reels over to him to go threw every winter. I would also think about a 450 or 400. The fish are getting deep and the two set ups work great for deep fishing

If i were you i would take it to tuna, the go threw every little thing so your not gonna pay for it in the long run. i know of alot of charters that take all there reels over to him to go threw every winter. I would also think about a 450 or 400. The fish are getting deep and the two set ups work great for deep fishing

i assume your talking about tuna,s reel troubles. i started sending all my stuff to him last year. i was having trouble with my diawa sealine sg17lca and accudepth adp17lc reels. i was using braid and didnt use any mono backing because the reels are small to start with. but that was my problem, the braid was slipping on the spools. so he just put pins in my arbors. problem fixed. so i just started sending him any problem reel. couldnt be happier. i even had this great big penn for saltwater. it had been tore up for a long time. he fixed it right up. and i couldnt believe how reasonable his prices are. i live in muncie indiana and have to ship to him. and with his prices i still come out ahead. i would highly reccomend him to everyone. you guys and gals all have a great season

sherman

That's a $180 reel and we're talking about modificaitons and updates to make it work when it breaks? Does anyone else think this is wrong, wrong, wrong?

I've got Penn 309's that I back the drags off every year, they're on my half core and get used all year, and I do nothing, yet they just work. They're probably as old as I am.

I bought a used 800 Shimano. Clicker broke. Fixed it. It broke again. Fixed it again. Not that it's easy to use as the button is in a damnable recess on the side and all but impossible to trip with gloves or if the reel is wet.

Then the drag went out. After 4 trips and a 5# king. Really?

Sold it as was and picked up two Okuma 55L's NIB off Ebay for only $10 more, and then sent them to Tuna and get the 6.1 to 1 gears put in, have not looked back.