port sheldon fishing

hi guys i am mostly a lake huron guy but the past couple of season when time allows i have been fishing the port sheldon and holland area and i really love it i have a 17 foot boat and its usually just me and my girlfreind we usually run core divers and riggers this year im looking into copper anyways is there any structure in that area i havnt noticed much i usually just search for fish and do pretty good all i catch is kings which is ok but was wondering does anybody target steelhead or lake trout in may june or july and what depths are you looking for any info is appreciated thank you

I fish mostly out of the Holland area and there realy is no structure to speak of , mostly just a slow taper out to deeper water,

As far as your question about trout and steelhead , yes you can target them, the lakers are normaly in that 90 to 120 range and the steelhead , all I can say is clear the peirs , hit the throttle and head west looking for any tipe of temp break and stick with it , ive found them any place from 60 fow all the way out to 300 plus , it just all depends on the weather and wind.

I did not fish Port Sheldon much last season it is too shallow for my boat went a few times on friends boats and did ok. Steelhead out of PS is just that for me out of PS Terry is dead on last Steelhead I can remember out of Port Sheldon we were close to 17 miles out from port and south probably closer to Holland in 300 ft of water. There are some nice Browns now and then but Steelhead either are coming back from the river or getting ready to go up river other than that they are always out deep on the temp breaks. No river at Port Sheldon and no plans to dredge it either so eventually it will fill completely full of sand.

In late june and early july you can get some big steelhead in 80 to 150 fow southof ps i took one 19#s in the frist week of july one year but on a normal year you can get them up to 15#s that time of year your best chance is to go south out of holland and head down tords saugatuck as they have the river the summer steelhead will run up at that time of year last year was not that great for them but in years past it has been good for them at that time of year your best rods will be your coppers for them with mag spoons

I fish out of Holland and I've always managed to pull in a couple steelhead a year. Most of them come on a double orange crush on a full core. I've never been out past 150 fow so I can't attest to how productive it is out further.

2 years ago, my hot rig was 2 color core with a gold thin fin. This year was 3 color and a bloody nose spoon for steelies. Fished only holland. I do always set 1 rod for steelies. Mainly a 2 or 3 color leadcore or a slider off the rigger. Troll fast for steelies too. Late fall I was going almost 4.0 on the gps trying to stay clear of the lakers and did quite well...

if you want lakers go between holland and saugatuck fish 90 to 120 fow. on bottom

( bouncing you rigger weight),slow 1.00 to 1.5 mph at the ball ,with a tin can dodger and a green, fire tiger,or white spin-n-glow abot 24 " behind the dodger.You can catch all the lakers you want all season this way.You can also run flies or cow bells behind the tin can as well but I found the spin-n-glows work the best.

I've been a Port Sheldon guy for a few years now, but I gotta say that if you are towing and dropping, I would go to Holland. The fish cleaning station is just AWESOME, and the structure is no different in Holland vs Port Sheldon. Used to be the advantage of PS was a quick trip to the lake. Personally I'd take the cleaning station vs the quick trip now.

Other advice is dead on. Lakers on the bottom slow. Steel out deep. I've even pulled stuff 4.5-4.7 on the gps and caught steel. Problem is you have to slow down each time you get a fish to get it to the boat. Sure is fun though.

I like the 3/4" diameter spin-n-glows. You can go north to portsheldon from holland in quick time ,its not that far.Then you still get to use the cleaning station in holland to. Port sheldon keeeps getting shallower and shallower every year and there is lots of weeds .just my 2 cents worth .