Cabelas Depthmaster DM45A reels

propman

The only difference I can see between them and Magna 45DX is the drag material the new MA45DX comes with Carbonite drags and the Cabela 45DX comes with Rulidium Drag material which is the same as the current model Convectors. The Cabela's Gold series appears to be a mix of Convector and Clarion parts.

I had asked them at cabelas last time down there as i am socsidering some of the smaller ones for walleyes. I was told that they are made by Okuma for cabelas. They are the magda series. and the gold is a SD series reel, which is between the magda and the convector. It was discontinued last year. but they are still making it for cabelas only. I have four of the sd series and i am not overly impressed for the money they are basically a magda with an aluminum spool instead of a graphite spool. The convector is a faster retrieve and a better built reel all around with anti reverse. The magda is a good reel for salmon fishing. Just make sure you maintain it properly.

I've used mine for the last 3 years. I was not impressed with the drags. I used mine for my wire dipsy rods and they would always leak, and that was at max drag. Switched the drags before last season with Tuna's tournament drags and they worked awesome. The clickers are a little weak but usable. I switched the plastic clicker spring with a metal one out of a CV45, and it's really loud now. I think because the Cabelas are plactic body reels and the Okumas are graphite, the sound it produces is much different. $8.00 for the drag and $1.00 for the clicker spring and this reel is one you'll catch many fish on. I know mine is well worth the $$$ spent. As previously mentioned, you do need to maintain them.

Good luck, and enjoy the new toys! :thumb:

consider also, if you dont fish every single weekend or not like a charter cap'n they should fish well for you.I always hope i get to tangle with the beast that can smoke me! take your time and enjoy,upgrade as needed and remember to always have fun!

I have a couple of these and use them for my downrigger rods. I bought them for my dipsy setups, but have some problems with the drags. They tend to leak alot. If I turn up the drag to stop the leaking, it is too tight for my comfort level.

They ARE almost part for part the exact same as the Okuma Magda reels (not magna! :lol:) - kids!!

I had a DMII 30 for a while, salmon will tear them up over time....:D

Almost is the key word! I have Magdas that are 6 yrs old and still going! Depthmasters didnt last a year.. The parts may look the same on paper, but the drags suck and they dont last

I have a couple of these and use them for my downrigger rods. I bought them for my dipsy setups, but have some problems with the drags. They tend to leak alot. If I turn up the drag to stop the leaking, it is too tight for my comfort level.

Exactly. Tried them when they came out and tore em up on walleye. Had a couple big ones i picked up for salmon and it wasnt long and they were clunkin'. I like my Daiwa, Penns and Shimanos....Also, another vote for tunas drags...SWEET