2 Weeks in Ludington

I just got home from two weeks in Ludington. I managed to get out 9 times, juggling family events, camping, and fishing. For the whole trip we went 58 for 79 bites if my notes are correct. As to not make this a very lengthy post I will generalize our success. The early part of our trip was mainly a deeper bite, due to the temps down at or below 85-100 feet. We had slow but steady bites on our own cut herring on JK's rigs and flashers, along with a mix of Big Weenies mixed in. No preferrence from Mr. King Salmon between the two. We ran them 350-375 back on braid magnum dipsys, and 140-160 feet down on riggers. As we got later in our trip, cooler water began to move in on the bank and we had good success on Silver Streak spoons and Jplugs early and late. The new UV colors on the Streaks were deadly. Streaks at 50-60 feet down on the riggers took plenty of bites. The Jplug bites were much less picky with several of the normal hot colors taking bites with no pattern. Our 400 copper rig with Jplug took 15 bites the last two trips in 130 fow. The best meat rigs were the red color heads/teasers pulled behind the Monkey Puke BTI's. We got several bites on the sparkler meat rig behind the same monkey puke BTI. A couple of fish also came on the Undertaker and Green Frog rigs as well. Saturday and Sunday night, the bottom lifted up and filled the graph with fish in the 55fow flats off the beach for the first time during our stay. What a fast and furious 45 minutes that was on plugs. We literally just long lined a couple of five color rigs with jplugs until they got bit while holding the rods. All in all, pretty steady action for the two weeks. We got to get out my nieces and nephews along with my kids one night and went five for five with all kids playing a part in each fish-great time. I'll put up some photos later if time allows. Lots of work to get caught up on in the rod shop. Speaking of that, I tested a couple of new prototype glass MHX blanks for the manufacturer while in Ludington, great stuff, look for them to become my new line of trolling rods soon. I also bumped into a few board members while there (Priority, to name one:lol:), always great to see board members while out.

A couple of observations. First the fish we caught were all very healthy looking, most stuffed with 6-7 inch alewives. The kings seemed to be larger this year, most in the 12-16 pound range with some real 20 plus pounder pigs thrown in for good measure. We caught two 8 pound lakers which seemed much larger than my normal years past lakers. We even caught my largest to date Steelhead 360 feet back on a braid mag dipsy with meat rig. We guestimated it at 15 pounds with agreement on that at the cleaning station peanut gallery. We were actually patting ourselves on the back for boating another very nice king. After it flopped around a while on the floor and I got a chance to turn around and have a look, I asked them to verify that our nice king had a white belly and jaw? Hindsight, probably should have taken more photos and measurments and had it mounted. I did get the unfortunate chance to get a photo of the wrecked plane, minutes after it was secured on the barge. I don't feel it would be tastefull to post it, but thought it worth mentioning.

Here are some photos of the highlights:

Big Steelie next to decent king, big laker, and average king, nice mixed box

P1010848.jpg

Nephew Sam doing battle

P1010805.jpg

Daughter's friend

P1010853.jpg

Niece Makayla with game face

P1010808.jpg

Son Josh getting serious with diver rod

P1010813.jpg

Another tag team fish in the box

P1010795.jpg

Son Jacob really becoming quite a fishermen, needs no help

P1010837.jpg

Daughter Kaitlyn making it look easy

P1010821.jpg

That was me Tony, my boat has the same name, since I got her new back in 1990. We've got a lot of great memories together. I've always hoped to meet Frank up there sometime but we haven't crossed paths yet.

Good to meet you. Great pics and great job getting the kids out! Are you going to be back in Ludington this year? We are up there every weekend and at least 3 weeks of vacation days spread out:D Looking forward to a full week up there a week from next and a few more long weekends.

Sounds like you had a great vacation up there!

Hey Adam, we'll be up this weekend. Let's get together for a burger or a beer around fishing. The Little Point has been great all July but the fish were loading up at Ludington last weekend.

. Heading to Ludington Friday night. Cant wait.

The bob-along is back in action after a long 6 week break. Ill give u a shout saturday morning what channel are u on? Were headin up there thursday morning just give me a call if u need any help on where not to fish lol

Ed, nice to meet you. I'll be back over there off and on on weekends. I owe a couple of buddies trips, so that is as good of a reason as any to make the trip. I also want to get back over there to get a better look at the Sportcraft that is for sale right across from Pizza Hut. Wife said if I can sell the Eyefull, I can upsize!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I grew up on walleye, but LOVE messing with the silver fish this time of year. After the rain and East wind all day on Saturday, the fish really loaded up on the bank. Sunday and Monday evenings both the graph lit up at dusk and some serious pounding went on in 50-70fow. Up until that point, we checked the bank each night on our way in and saw nothing.

Forgot to mention, the kids had a blast, but I think I had more fun than they did! We must have looked like a Haitian refuge boat heading out, kids all over the back. Calm seas, and slow but steady fishing made it a nice trip, I'm sure they are all hooked. My neice wants a pink rigger rod with purple guides-YIKES!