Sunday on Saginaw Bay with the Boys

Had a great trip on the bay today with my favorite crew. My two boys were able to come today which is very rare considering all the ball games and functions. We started out of Quanicassee and checked out the 17 fow area of the slot at round 7:30 am. We set four lines and I finally pulled my head out and realized I could see the bottom like it was three feet deep! Could actually see walters swimming away from the boat.

Picked up and ran over to about the midpoint between the plug and 1 & 2 and set up on a north troll outside the main pack in 23 fow. Streak spoons behind Walkers was the program. I set the first on back 100 feet and it started bucking as I put the clip on the planer line. It was like that all day until we pulled our last line. We had several triples and even a quad at one point. Lots of pinks, purples, and UV stuff doing damage, really everything got bit. Most productive was about 120-130 feet of line out. Caught several nice fish on a 65mm walker rigged with a standard size streak spoon right off the corner. Probably would have caught more fish with that rig, but kept forgetting to check it with all the other action. Heres my youngest doing his best to cull the walleye population:

jacobfighting.jpg

It is always a great day on the water when your boys can come along. I suppose in total, we had to have caught at least 55-60 walleye today. It was at least a 3:1 ratio of undersize fish, but that was exactly what the doctor ordered with kids. Several sheeps, a white perch, and would you believe a very nice size sucker came on the big diver setup.

fishhaul.jpg

Our total keepers was our four man limit of 20. No real hawgs, a couple of 3 or 4 pounders and lots of 16-19 inch types. Off the water at 1:30pm.

Great job Tony! Sounds like you had alot of action.

I haven`t run spoons much for walleye but wonder why you would use dipseys over in-lines? I bought alot of walleye spoons this winter and can`t wait to give them a try. Any advice is appreciated.

I think that at the spoon speeds (2.7 - 3.4 gps) the inlines will have troubles gaining depth. The divers or tadpoles dive and get you reliably on the fish. I run the walker discs, they have a little better trip system than the dipsys. I do have 8 of the new tadpoles that I am messing around with. I think once I get used to the tadpoles, they may replace the walkers. They seem to dive deeper, but yet pull less resistance. Using braid mainline, I can get the walkers down to 30 feet pretty easy, and vs. mono, get really solid hookups at that length of lead. 200 feet of 12lb mono stretches so much, you can't barely ever see a bite. Use as long of a mono leader as you can, and still bring a fish to net with ease. I run 6'6" light action rods, so 7' leader is about all my kids can deal with. Don't be afraid to run them fast, we were getting bit on the outside lines pulling 3.2 turns.

I'll try to post a photo tonight after work. It is basically a hundred year old table, cut out for the sink. The sink is plumbed so a garden hose will hook up to it. The cutting board is from my rod shop. It has a cedar base and polyehelene cut top. The stainless spike is mostly for salmon, you stick their head on it, and it is like slicing the fillet off with no slip, hands free operation. It also works to skin the fillets, just poke a hole in the tail of the fillet, put over the nail, and run your blade under the meat. I have two left at $40;)