Hunting With Bait

caznik

Hello Deer Hunters,

I just like to know what you deer hunters feel about hunting with a bait pile. Bow hunting I like to hunt with eared corn and set my pile around 15-20 yards using around 12 ears of corn so I can get the best shot in so I do not wound any deer. Now gun hunting I really dont hardly ever use bait just because I have a gun in my hand and still get a good shot no matter or what. But let us all know what you think about hunting with bait.

Thanks,

Caznik

I have hunted over bait before. What I noticed, is that the deer are much more alert of whats going on around them when at a bait pile. Find out where the deer are coming from and set up on their travel route

I tried it a long time ago and figured it wasn't worth it, the deer ignoored it untill mid December. I had a small amont of carrots and ear corn along with a half bale of hay, made 2 piles like this in 2 different locations, the deer knew it was there but waited untill the farm crops were all harvesyed and the remains buried under the snow before they came to the bait and pawed it up and ate it. I remember one nite setting there with the muzzle loader and just before dark 70 deer crossed the fence onto my 2 1/2 acre corn stubble to feed on the bait and corn that was missed by the picker, didn't dare blink with that many sets of eyeballs looking around with some as close as 5 yards. It was a heck of rush having that many deer to watch even though they were all smooth headed as far as I could tell.

personaly, i dont believe in it. the way i grew up was that, thats what scouting was for. find out where the deer go and sit there instead of feeding the deer so they are full of food and making then lazy. the deer eat off the pile and than go lay down for the rest of the day. (so if you dont bait your odds of getting a deer go down) i do understand that now a day people are busy'er than that used to be - i know i dont have much time to scout anymore. I would just like to see more deer out and about than what you used to. i camp w/ family up at drummond island every year and its nothing to see huge piles of bait from the camps next door (they got a trailer they pull just loaded with bait and the quad with the dump on the the back to take a load to each stand everyday) real sportsman!!! Thats my opinion!

• 2 months later...

Do I bait?? YES

Do I like to hunt over bait?? NO

I am not a fan of hunting over bait but I have very few places to hunt and the places I do have to hunt are not ideal area's. I have one spot that is an excellent spot that I dont need to bait but it is private on three sides of the property and virtually an uncrossable swap on the other. It takes me 1-1/2hrs or more to cross it with waders.:eek:

If I did not bait the other areas I know I would not get a shot's at a deer.

I hope to have my own "deer haven property" some day but until then I will make the best with what I have.