Greetings from Finland. Hope to get new fishing friends from Great Lakes Salmon and Trout fishers as well as hear mo bout your fishing trips. I do fish myself in Lake Saimaa, located in Finland, Europe and target species are pretty much the same as u have. Jari

Thanks guys. I sure will share pics and stories as well other matherial of our lakes and trolling in here. I`m very interested in learning more about North American lake Salmon trolling and comparing your methods to those mainly used in here. It`s great to get such a warm welcome as u gave me.

Our lakes are still covered with ice, but openwater season is going to start approximately in the middle of May. Jari

Hello Katrina. Openwater season in Finnish lakes is approxymately 7 months long. Season at the northern Baltic sea is usually one month longer. If fishing southern Baltic sea or big Swedish lakes like Vänern or Vättern, you can get 10 months season depending of how cold winter we have. I`ve been trolling in Saimaa for 20 years and the variance in season lenghts has been between 6-7 months from ice to ice. How bout your season lenght?

• 1 month later...

We have a whole lotta Finlanders in da UP. We are very fortunate to have only about 4 months of boat action in the UP of Michigan. The rest of the time about 5 months is ice fishing. That is fortunate if you like to go ice fishing like I do.

Well, we`re fortunate to have that 7 moths openwater season, fortunately ain`t longer. U can always go icefishing from boat, like lot a Finns do, which compensates lack of icefishing in the summertime. I prefer warm/hot weather and long bright summer nights mo...:D...as well as bikinies...:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thank`s all you guy`s.

Here is link to my photo album......We had extra ordinary hot summer here in Finland....Real bikini summer......Loved it.

Autumn has gone repairing my cottage, but I`ve been able to do some fishing also.....Some more fact`s about Lake Saimaa. Lake salmon we have here is diffrent specie than Sea salmon. Our lake salmons do not grow much bigger than weight of 10 kg. Finnish record fish catched by rod eqipments is 11.3 kg. Sea salmons can be weighted over 20 kg`s. That`s why we are very happy when reaching lake salmons over 4 kg`s. This summer average weight of salmons cathed in my part of Saimaa has been 2 kg`s.

This season lasts one more month till mid`s of Decenber and then we have 5 moths break....Jari

Fortunately I do not have regular bikini babe crew...yet...;p....Finland is small country and we do not have all that commercial volume as you in Northern America do have. Just thought that combination of fishing, good food and pleasant female fishing quides might be experience worth of travelling several thousand miles to get here....lol....Yes I do like eating by campfire, sometimes even dinners of 3 dishes...Jari

Here is link to my home lake:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saimaa

If comapring sizes with lake Michigan, we can notice that Lake M is 13 times bigger.

Lake salmon of Saimaa has tradionally been pawning at rapids of river Pielinen in North carelia. Last free rapid of river Pielinen was equipped with power plant at beginning of 70`s. All lake salmons fished here are crowed in plants and released to lake Saimaa at age of 2 years. Saimaa do not have free water route to Baltic sea, so we do not have sea species here as rivers of Northern Finlad (Lapland) do have.

I have been wondering average size of your lake salmons. We could say it depends of fisherman, and it does, but if being not selective what might it be?

Jari