The story of Bobby's Toy

Bobbys Toy

Being new to the site I thought it only appropriate to get my "Toy" on this board. Bobby's Toy is a 1987 Crestliner Saber 225 GL which I purchased new in 1987 at the Flint Steelheaders show. I purchased the boat from the now defunct Empire Marine in Flint. I ordered the Toy with a couple of options, starting with a 165 Mercrusier, carpet (bad choice on my part, carpet has no place on a fish boat) and a heavy duty 5200LB EZ Loader roller trailer. This purchase left little to do anything else with; lucky for me VHF came with the deal. I scraped $400.00 together for a Ray Jeff black&white CRT fish finder. A bud gave me pair of home made riggers for which I made a trolling board with flush mount PVC rod holders. I had a pair of Fish On rod holders for which a made a couple of angle brackets that enabled me to mount the rod holders to the gunnels and use them for dipsey rods or Pink Ladies at that time. Another friend gave me some old rods and reels, some spoons and a hand full of Bomber Long A's, I was ready to go salmon fishing.p><p>As the years went buy I was able to

As time went on I upgraded to four electric Walkers and a Atlantic Towers top. bobbys_toy_2005.jpg

A new interior came in 2005. Home built over the winter, new vinyl flooring, storage for all of my tackle, new seats and a new Ray Marine fish finder. 2006 brought a re-power, the 165 went away and was replaced with a slightly used 4.3L 205hp V6 installed by Michigan Marine Gear in St. Clare Shores Michigan. This brought a whole new life to the Toy. I decided to finish this project with a new paint job over the winter of 2007/2008. Paint was done by D&R Marine in Caseville Michigan. repaint_in_process_1.jpg repaint_in_process_2.jpg finished_repaint_1.jpg back_togther_1.jpg

Today Bobby’s Toy is about where I want it to be. Here is a list of equipment I have added, most of it in the last 4 years:

205 hp Mercrusier

Bennet Trim Tabs (This was needed after the engine up grade, had to keep the bow from bouncing)

New Paint

New interior

Ray Marine 500DX fish finder

840 Fish Hawk

320 Ray Marine GPS Chart Plotter

Ray Marine Sport Pilot

Ray Marine 49 VHF

Beaver Troll (added 2009)

Atlantic Towers Top

Custom made enclosure by Canvas Kings in Spring Lake MI

4 Walker Tournament II electric down riggers

6 Bert’s rod holders with 2 24 inch tracks

3 Fold down Tite Loc rod holders between out downs

Electric winch with trailer mounted battery

LED trailer lights

New trailer brake system

And many more things that I can not recall right now.

And here she is running in all her glory last year out of Pentwater. bobbys_toy_on_the_run_2009.jpg

Thanks for the kind word all. The boat will run in the low 30's with 4 large fishermen, full fuel and all equipment. But it is rare day that it is calm enough to open the throttle all the way. Crestliners are not wave breakers, ride a bit rough but very stable when trolling which is what we do most of the time anyways. I must admit those 25 Carolina Classics with the 24 degree deadrise hulls are looking better all the time as I get older...