Planner Boards, How and Why?

Boltman

Hello Gents, it's that time of year, ahh yessss teach the newbies how to use the equipment.... You guys are the Pro's no doubt in my mind at all...

Well, I'm thinking of buying some planner boards for the boat, so I can improve my presentation, fishing for Kings, what should I use and HOW THE HECK DO YOU USE THEM, also what line do you put them on Mono,or what....? So many questions,,,, good thing there's a lot of time to learn before the next season hits...

PS The Boltman is in at Ludington's Harborview Marina for next year..... can't wait, now we have to get the bottom painted..

but forst let's teach me how to use Planner baords..............

best way to learn is to fish with someone who uses them I run up to 4 per side and love them. Basicly you have a couple of choices in board Church or Off Shore I run Off Shore as my first boards were Church's and I did not know how to use them so had problems and got rid of them. Line should be Mono but there are ways to use braid but most of them work much smoother with mono. I have a couple more trips left in me this year lets go fishing. PM me

i run the walley chruch boards and have run up to 5 a side i put one rubber band on the line with a few over hand knots and clip the line and one side of the rubber band and place in the board. then i take the relese that came with it off and put big jon barrel on. i like these becuz there easy to pop off and they hold really good in bad weather. i run power pro 30 pound for backing and never had a problem

The main thing with running 4 or more boards to the side is gradual turns. The larger the spread,the more room you need to run them. Stay way away from the packs. Like Jim said, it's best to go with someone who knows what they're doing. The boards are a great tool. I run Offshore brand for walleye and salmon.

ok im havin trouble with the offshore or12s i run them on zero and they dont take them out to the side like i want them to. there running more back instead of out and i thought it was becuz it was a 10 color but it was the same way with the 3 and 5s, could use some imput. i would like to use them i found both of them in the same year a port and starboard.

Robert, with your boat and your setup, most likely you will only run one or two per side. Start with one. A typical core setup would be 20' 20 pound leader, 5-10 colors of lead (1/2-full core). 4' of 30-40 mono (to hook the board to) then 450' of power pro (or similar).

Attach lure of choice, let the leader and core out, attach board (both front and back ), let 100'+- of pp out and put in holder. The board will bring it out to the side.

NOTE, let the 100'+- out the back of your boat before engaging the real.

If you don,t let enough line out, the core and diver could get tangled together.

I bet at least %90 of the guys out there are using the Church Boards.

church_tackle_walleyeboard.jpg

One other note. That weight on the bottom side should be slid forward to+1

when a fish hits, it will pull the rod back and double your rod over. Let the fish take line as needed.

The board will usually stay attached (they are adjustable), some times the come uncliped and slide down. Most often when they slide down and stop at the knot that hooks the mono to the core.

It's a good idea to hold your pole close to the water when trying to get the board in. this allows it to skip across the water, making it much easier to get in.

When the board is whiten reaching distance, unclip it from the line.

I started with the offshore boards and being a mostly walleye fisherman went to the walleye boards couldnt get rid of them fast enough hated everything about them back to offshores more than pleased with them! You can run as many boards per side as you have pole holders for brand doesn't matter there!

ok im havin trouble with the offshore or12s i run them on zero and they dont take them out to the side like i want them to. there running more back instead of out and i thought it was becuz it was a 10 color but it was the same way with the 3 and 5s, could use some imput. i would like to use them i found both of them in the same year a port and starboard.

Matt, I run some OR12s for walleye and have used them pulling core for salmon. I'm not sure what you mean be a zero setting on them. I also have a pair of the OR31s that were designed for salmon and steelhead. If I'm running long cores I'll have them on the Offshore OR31s. I use the OR12s for the shorter cores, so I get double duty out of them. Frank:)

I don't have any more fishing trips left in me, right now I'm about to battle a very bad cold, I can tell it's biulding and all i feel like doing right now is sleeping, Too bad I have to work, I'm self employed.... he he he i would like to go out with someone using these baords but it's not in the cards this fall, too busy and right now too damn sick, My kids brought this home to me......... as always....Thanks for the invite though Jim, I know we'd have a great time.

I typically run full core and 300' of copper off of the church walleye boards one of the most important things is to make that your deepest set on each side is closest to the boat then go to the shorter lines and gradually get to shallower sets, forms a V from the middle out. then you can get away with running more boards, and not get tangled when you get a fish on . It is quite easy to get the set up but the turns are critical. I usually run my dipsys then the 300' copper then the 200 copper then a 5 color on one side of the boat, the other side is a dipsy rig then the 300 or 400 copper then a full core, then a 4 to 7 color depending on desired depth. Fortunately my boat runs 4 riggers and it is important to be sure that the dipsys are not deeper than your riggers. I do like the church Walleye boards in the summer and fall. In the spring it is the big john and yellow birds for shallow water fishing with mono and power pro lines, using the same V pattern to set always running deepest inside and working up as you go out. This enables you to let the outside rigs straight out the back and let them swing out over the inside presentations. I learned this from Russ (Rusty P) when I fished with him befor I bought his boat and it has worked well no tangles and no issues. To tell when a fish hits I run the drags light and set the clickers when you get a hit the reel screams at you. Goodluck and give me a bump and come down and fish with me in the spring the boat will be in the water by April 10th in So. Haven.

I run the walleye boards too. and rig then so they dont release to slide down to my lure. remember to put your shallowest line the farthest away from th boat and your deepest line the closest to the boat. start with one or two per side to learn how to let them out and reel them in to change lures. oh, you will get them tangled,everybody does and its a big rats nest . good luck!!

Some great advice here. The V that Supertramp is talking about is the key. Deepest setup should be the rigger, then dipseys, then boards (coppers, fulls, 5-7, then 1-3 color). I personally use the walleye boards, but I have replaced all my plastic pins with stainless steel. They have them at many stores now, but I know for certain they are at Big Lake in Saugatuck. Aarron will treat you right. I run my 300 copper on 1-2+ with the weight forward. I run my full core on 1+ and everything else on zero. Works everything into the spread nicely. You have to be very careful when pulling lines to change lures, as you have to get around your other boards. Jim (Maniac) is right. Fish with someone that knows what they are doing. You will learn a ton and save yourself a lot of frustration trying to figure it out on your own. Sounds like you have a lot of invites to make good on in the spring. Oh, the reel drags that supertramp is mentioning is also a HUGE help. Set em light light light. So they just click out a little in the waves. When a fish hits, you'll know it.

I run the Walleye boards but have changed the clips that I use. I use this clip form Offshore in the front:

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR18.html

And I use this clip from Offshore in the back:

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR16.html

I will take some pictures and post them up later. I like these clips because there is no chance of the board releasing. And if somehow the board does release it won't slide back at break-neck speeds. I have tried a few different combinations over the years and like these the best. I also use these boards for flatlines and walleye:

http://www.offshoretackle.com/OR12L.html

I have the Tattle Flage kits on them and they work great.

Thanks guys, and yes I am going to take up on those offers for fishing in the sprint time, I have to learn and with the wife onboard doing the driving when trolling. She's a great woman, but only one can expect do much.... when learning...

You guys are the greatest.

A typical core setup would be 20' 20 pound leader, 5-10 colors of lead (1/2-full core). 4' of 30-40 mono (to hook the board to) then 450' of power pro (or similar).

anyone else run a section of mono between you lead core and super line?

I ran a 40' mono leader, 8-10 colors, then super line on Off Shores. I switched the front release to a barrel type and a snap off the rear. I wrap the line around the front release twice then around through the release and close it in the snap free style. I also attach a stop bead on the leader just in case i wrap the release the wrong way and the board slides down when a fish hits (done it a couple times without the stop and got lucky).

the mono section in between might solve the slippery super line issue and the need for wrapping around the release. hmmm.. something to consider

I musta toyed around with all my sets a dozen couple times, I figure next year i'll only hafta change things a couple few more times