Wire Dipsy's

Went out with GLF Saturday, and now I am interested in setting up a couple of wire lines with roller rods for my dipsy's.

I have checked at Jay's and Cabellas for the rods and reels with 19 strand wire, looks like somewhere between $200.00 and $270.00 per rod to set up.

Any advice on the best package to use, and where to get the best price?

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by anthonyyost
misspelling

I don't know how much 19 starnd costs but you should be able to put together a wire rig for about $150. Convector reel, heartland rod with a twilli should be in the $110 range and then the line cost.

I am "testing" the 19 strand wire on a regular rod to see what the affect will be without a twill tip, or a roller rod. In the fall I will know if it is an issue or not.

If you do go with a roller rod, stay away from the cheaper rods. There have been numerous posts already about the wire getting outside the rollers and getting pinched.

I heard plumkrazy uses center core rods(I may have the name wrong) for his wire diver rods. These are the rods where the line goes through the center of the rod. Maybe phil will jump in on this thread and reply.

I also have the 7 strand on a regular eagle claw starfire rod with ceramic eyes. I wanted to see if a regular rod will hold up. Will give you all more feedback as I truely test the rod down in fairport this year.

Okuma also makes a wireline special rod with one closed roller like the Convector and Taylora rods use and a twillie tip. Lots of guys are bragging about the JR wire rods on other sites as well for a budget rod that works. I know guys use the Inner Flow rods and have mixed responses about them it seems they are a rod people either love or hate depending on who you ask. I have a set of Starfire roller rods I would make you a good deal on they never gave me any trouble but after hearing so many complain about them I bought a set of Okuma's which I like so far. I have ran wire on regular rods in the past and it works but you will ruin the eyelets and you get more drag than you want at times which can cause you to pull the hooks out of fish.

I've run my wire on $35 Shimano TDRs for the past two seasons with no signs of wear. That said, I'm a weekend warrior and not out fishing every day so your mileage may vary. I've been using the Okuma Convector CV-30D also which can be had for $60. The wire itself will set you back $40 or so, maybe a bit more for the 19 strand. At any rate, you can get setup pretty well for under $150.

-- Bud

I run the Okuma blue diamond rollers and have never had a problem with the wire jumping over the roller, i also run twilli tips on my other 2 wire divers. Fishdog had some good prices when i bought mine, check them also.