Yet Another BrainStorm.

Well, just finished pre-tying all of my new 5" Berkley Hollow Body Swimbaits, that I'll be trying this open water season as sliders above my Rattle Tot's. If they are not compatiable with them as sliders, I thought about using them on some lead core by themselves. Also just ordered 3 packs of the 4" to troll and/or cast on the river while fishing both day and night. I just could not resist their swimming and fish catching charm. Proven to me after watching 3 episodes of both (In-Fishermans) Doug Stangy and Al Linder (Angling Edge) catching some very impressive walleyes on them while casting, and I'm thinking rigging them for trolling just might be killer as well. So when the bare spoons or spoon harnesses start catching those little sub-legal walleyes around the last of June, I can hopefully switch over to these bigger offerings for some bigger gators. Hell, they might even work for you Salmon guys. :grin:

IM001838.sized.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I believe Doug Stange said the Berkley Hollow Body swim baits are the finest swimbaits he's ever used....That says volumes to me. I see no reason why they wont work Dan. I tired some swimbaits last year and didnt have any luck. But then again, i didnt give it a good honest try either. I bet Big Water Tackles Herring oil would be a good addition to the Hollow Body Shad.;)...Oh, i ran mine behind Inline weights when i tried them, which very well could have been the problem. Worked them slow, might be a better presentation at a little faster pace.

I'm really curious to how well this works. I've contemplated it a lot lately. What about using an umbrella rig with these like they do for stripers. I was thinking if you could put it behind the ball on a downrigger and then run a line further back with the hook in it...

:eek:...I thought i was the only one that thought about that crazy unbrella rig.:lol:...I think as long as you kept the leader to your target bait a bit longer and away from all the hardware it would probably work well. Wonder how something like that would fare for walleye and salmon behind a dipsey?

That's actually a neat idea. Down side: Just one pack/3 of these swimbaits with 2 types of sinker rigs are $9.00. Don't those umbrella rigs have as many as 12 lures attached. Man that would hurt to the bone to loose that rig. I'm really hoping the slider idea above the Rattle Tot's work. :P:)

Stange has been preaching them for years on an Owner salt water 1/2 oz jig head. I like the setup you have with a weight and treble on a long leader for trolling. That might be worth a try off a downrigger with a long lead. Given the size of these baits, I'm not sure a Rattle Tot will pull them deep enough. I'm thinking the swimbaits will pull the Tot out of the zone. A small dipsey might be better (but you lose the long lead).

Thanks for sharing, you have got my mind to thinking... Let us what you learn from your experiments.

Stange has been preaching them for years on an Owner salt water 1/2 oz jig head. I like the setup you have with a weight and treble on a long leader for trolling. That might be worth a try off a downrigger with a long lead. Given the size of these baits, I'm not sure a Rattle Tot will pull them deep enough. I'm thinking the swimbaits will pull the Tot out of the zone. A small dipsey might be better (but you lose the long lead).

Thanks for sharing, you have got my mind to thinking... Let us what you learn from your experiments.

Ya, I knida figured the extra weight and pull of these swimbaits as sliders would change the dynamics and dive of the Rattle Tot's. I've been using both spoons and my spoon harnesses sliders above them now for a few years with success. But I figured with that small amount of weight attached to the swimbait, things might equal out when it came to the pull versus depth dynamics. I'm thinking I'll know post haste if it's going to work or not. And if it does, I'll let everybody know. :grin: