Better day on Da Bay.

Well, we headed out into a white out this morning with very few signs of a worn trail to fallow. I must say this is not the way I like to see conditions, knowing I was headed almost 5 miles out. But we managed to find a few old snow blown trails that kept my arrow on my GPS cumpus pointing straight ahead so we trudged on. Stopped just short of my GPS destination noting a huge section of ice that looked a little wet. We ended up going 6 for 9 with all in that 17 to 19 inch range. All but 2 fish were caught on Genz Worms and live minnows. As were the ones we missed. One client managed 3 fish with 2 coming on Gold/Red Cleo and a minnow head.

Heres a few of the foggy pictures. Don't know what I'm going to do about this new camera. Maybe use it in the summer only, as it is a HD video camera.

IMG_0112.sized.jpg

IMG_0110.sized.jpg

IMG_0109.sized.jpg

IMG_0105.sized.jpg

That's a damn fine idea Adam. I blame it mostly on my new shanty with that Norpac R2 insolation. That thing is like fishing out of a 6 X 12 snowmobile suite. Can't even have the heater on low for more then 5 minutes and your ready to explode from the heat. A shanty to warm, now that's a good one. :eek::no:

A shanty to warm, now that's a good one. :eek::no:

No truer words have ever been spoken...Sure has been a cold winter thus far.:eek:...Enjoy it!:lol:

Ive been putting one heat pack on either side of the camera to help pentetrate the heat from both sides. I then take the neck strap and wrap it around them and the camera to keep them tight against the cameras surface. I put it in the case and then place a towel on top of that. I have not put the heat pack against the screen as im not sure if it would cause any damage. I fish outside, so i gotta keep it warm or it wont function at all. Seems to work pretty well that way. Hopefully thatll solve your problems. I know your like me, pics and vids on ice are allot better quality and more meaningful than ones taken in the parking lot.

...oh yeah, ive just been using the standard heat packs, but i can imagine the larger body warmer would be a good choice too. Maybe you could get away with one that way?:confused:

I am under the impression that these genz worms baited with a minnow are working for picky walleye. But I have no clue what they are our how to rig them? Could anyone help me with this? thanks Rob

Genz worms are a horizontal style jig. And if Dan rigs them as i do, he hooks them in the last third of the minnow. This allows the jig to pin the minnow in place. As it swims off it carries the jig off to the side, then the weight of the jig swings the entire bait back to center. Works great...I like to run mine about 18" off bottom, but you should adjust it to where the fish want it that day.

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/tackleshop2/home.php?cat=502

Adam is correct. I hook the minnow on the top, just under the skin between the Dorsal and Tail fin. This particular hooking position hinders the minnow from having very good forward purpulsion, yet allows him to kick and vibrate up a storm when he see's trouble/walleye coming. The trick then becomes knowing when the walleye has the hook in his mouth and when to set the hook. If ordering any Genz Worms, I prefer the #6 hook size. But like the looks of the new XL hook size. ;)

TG_Genz_Worm_colors.jpg