stackers or dipsies.

I have two rods I'm trying to decide what to do with. I fish out of a 18' grady white. I used to run two dipsies off of braid and two downriggers with stackers. I also have a half core spooled up for off an inline planer board. This year I set up another braided dipsy to run. Now I'm looking at my rods I used for stacking and I'm considering changing them over to something else. I thought about running a full core and maybe another braid dipsy so I could run 4 braided dipsies (two mags, two #1's) and a half core on one side and a full core on the other off of planers and two downriggers. Any thoughts on reasons to keep rods available for stackers?

I like to have extra rigger rods ready to go but if I was limited I would definitely add a full core. I run different lb. test on my riggers, 15# for spoons, 20# for flashers, and 12# for when the bite dies. This also gives me spare rods. That being said, the first 6 rods I had were a full core, half core, 2 braid dipseys, and 2 rigger rods. Caught quite a few fish with them. Instead of another braid dipsey you might want to think about wire. It gets you a lot deeper than braid. Plus its fun to catch a screaming king on wire. Good Luck.

I run 4 core (10,7,5and 3), 2 dipseys and 2 downriggers both with a stacker. In my very limited expierience I have not found any of them to be better producers with any sort of consistency. You could keep your mono rods and get a couple of dive bombs and run them off inline boards. this way you can keep the rods versitile and if they are hitting core off boards you run the dive bomb, if they are hitting downriggers you can still run your two riggers plus stackers. Hope this helps.

This is a good one....If it were me this is what I would do. Change the 2 xtra rods into dipsy rods. In my ideal world off my boat this is what I would run. 4 leadcore 2 off each side of varying colors, 4 dipsys 2off each side, and 2 riggers down the chute with the potential if the riggers are working of using 4. Now instead of a stacker rod I would put down some sliders. We have used them quite a bit and there is no denying that they take hits.

This is a good one....If it were me this is what I would do. Change the 2 xtra rods into dipsy rods. In my ideal world off my boat this is what I would run. 4 leadcore 2 off each side of varying colors, 4 dipsys 2off each side, and 2 riggers down the chute with the potential if the riggers are working of using 4. Now instead of a stacker rod I would put down some sliders. We have used them quite a bit and there is no denying that they take hits.

Every thing like above. If you're short on space run only two lead and 4 dippseys and 2 riggers with stackers.

Here goes this is my rod setup 2 wire divers 2 rigger poles with 30lb Ande 2 rigger poles with 25lb maxum 2 rods setup SWR with 2 colors can run of riggers or behind boards alone or with dive bombs. 2 5 color rods 1 full core and one 7 color 2 copper rods 2 power pro braid poles. That is 16 rods and if I put the dive bombs on the copper and ran as a SWR could probably hit bottom in 300ft but sure can hit any depth from 200 up. I would suggest a SWR setup for the spare rod as you can use it a lot of differant ways.

Tight Lines

Jim

Jim, What is the SWR setup. I have heard SWR mentioned several times before. What does it mean???

Thanks

TT

SWR = Secret Weapon Rig. It is usually a two or three color lead core run off your deepest rigger. DARN now everyone knows.:lol:

The SWR has been a big producer for us the last few trips. Works real well once the sun comes up. You can put a spoon right in the face of fish that are down on the bottom. And it's a long way from the boat. We ran the Glow Purple Frog from the DreamWeaver on this the day of the tourney and the 2 times we've been out since then and have taken a lot of fish on it.

• 2 weeks later...