Jump to content

Mega Byte

Members
  • Posts

    622
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mega Byte

  1. I read that they don't want to stock under 10,000 fish in a location for cost/efficiency reasons. Must be whatever number their algorithm produced was less than 10,000 and they don't believe in rounding up. There still should be some natural reproduction in the river though. If the alewives are able to rebound and the king stocking stays low, we're going to see more very large fish. This is a delicate dance the DNR is doing between the alewife population and salmon population. (And the weather, because that affects reproduction rates of both species as well.) So far they are doing a good job in the lake as a whole.
  2. A missing adipose fin is a sign of a stocked fish like the one pictured in this post. If there wasn't a stocking program in place, I'd be more apt to consider catch and release. If reproduction is a concern (which I don't think it is), that can be addressed simply with the stocking of more fish, or reducing the # of fish anglers can keep. I agree with your statement that Lake Michigan is "figuring out a way to survive", but the threat to Lake Michigan isn't the over harvesting of salmon, it's the invasive species and the disruption of the food chain. If all the Lake Michigan anglers got together and agreed to do catch and release, the DNR would stop the stocking program. The net result is the same number of fish in the lake, but now I have to buy farm raised salmon from Meijer.
  3. This will give you exactly what you are looking for: http://www.michigandnr.com/fishstock/ County Water Body Species Strain Date Number Operation Avg. Length Fin Clips, Marks, Tags Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/14/10 44,831 State Plant 4.02 oxytetracycline Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/12/11 43,800 State Plant 3.62 adipose, coded wire tag Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/03/12 45,520 State Plant 3.82 adipose, coded wire tag Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/13/13 15,039 State Plant 3.94 adipose, coded wire tag Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/08/14 15,081 State Plant 4.09 adipose, coded wire tag Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/09/15 16,068 State Plant 3.94 adipose, coded wire tag Ottawa Lake Macatawa Holland Net Pen (06N 16W 34) Chinook salmon Michigan 05/20/16 15,127 State Plant 3.82 adipose, coded wire tag
  4. Holland got 15,000 in 2013. http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_53405-297817--,00.html
  5. Pentwater 8/29 AM 1 for 3 Marked bait and nice arches in 60 - 80 fow. Fished them for about an hour and 15 minutes with no bites so we pulled lines and ran deep. I didn't really think we'd get them to hit, but when the graph lights up it's hard not to at least try. We started setting lines in 180 fow, NW of the pier heads. Had a fat coho on a green moonshine flounder pounder down 60 on a rigger in 184 fow. You'd think that fish was trying out for the US gymnastics team. Lots of jumps, flips and twists. Even after he threw the hook he kept jumping and twisting and flipping over and over. I think he was just trying to rub it in. Nice fat fish though. It looked very thick. Boated a small coho on the same setup in 239 fow (West troll). Lost the final fish on a green paddle and meat rig on an E troll in 220 fow. I heard of two other boats that didn't get a single hit. One other boat got 1 coho. I'm wondering if the cold nights these last few weeks has pushed the kings up river sooner than normal. Last year at this time we were still catching nice kings. I've landed 1 king in the last 10 days (5 trips). The rest of the fish were steelhead, coho and one skunk.
  6. How long does it take you to edit and produce a video like this?
  7. We are going out on Tuesday and will give that a try. Thank you.
  8. I usually launch at Charlie's Marina. There are two public launch sites, but I haven't used them. One is on the south end of the lake, but I think that is for much smaller boats and there is very limited parking. The other public launch spot is right near Charlies. The public launch is cheaper. Charlie's is $10 - $20 depending on the size of your boat. I use Charlie's because I don't want to wait for other boats at the public marina and I'll often grab an open slip from them for an extended weekend of fishing. The whole lake is not no wake. From Charlie's to the channel it is though. Yes, the cleaning station is public. Thanks for the tips. We'll have to try that next time out. We didn't venture into the shallow water near dark because the wind had pushed the warm water in and it was much warmer than it was during the morning, so we didn't think they would be in there.
  9. Pentwater 8/26 AM & PM Worked shallow water early on Saturday and marked a lot of fish in the 40 - 75 fow range. No takers so we started out deep. The graph was empty until 170 fow. Ended the morning 3 for 3. 1) 5# coho SE troll, 140 fow, 2.7 @ ball, 150 Cu + Pb, double orange crush 2) 12# king, SW troll, 190 fow, 2.5 @ ball, 200 Cu + Pb, Ace Hi green glow plug 3) 5# steelhead, E troll, 223 fow, 2.0 @ ball, White Paddle & fly down 60 on a rigger For the evening trip, we marked a lot of bait in 85 - 100 fow, and bigger fish in 100 - 150. Finished the night 0 for 0. We were marking a decent amount of fish, just couldn't get anything to fire. Second skunk of the year. Stopped by the fish cleaning station around 10 PM and there were only two groups cleaning fish, and each had a single fish. Very, very slow for this time of year.
  10. Ditto the issues with big Winnie meat rig hooks bending. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  11. What depth of water did you work? Were you marking much? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  12. Nice job. 13 hits is a good day in my book. It can be frustrating getting pushed out of the water you want to fish. Or worse, getting stuck were you don't want to be and have a boat on your inside and outside running parallel with you. On busy days I tend to run only 1 planer board on each side and then use divers and riggers with shorter leads. I can be pretty maneuverable that way. That also helps with the rookies I have driving for me while I'm setting lines. Some days I swear they are trying to write their name with the GPS trail.
  13. Eclipse fishing... I'm just sitting here, realizing the waves on the lake are under a foot. What a perfect day to fish all day. Plus, with a solar eclipse, who knows what that will do to the bite between 2 PM and 3 PM. I suppose you can say this most days, but today especially, I think I'd rather be fishing.
      • 1
      • Like
  14. Lol Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  15. Short trip as the kids got queasy in the 1.5 - 2 footers. Fished 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm. Speed 2.4 - 2.7 @ ball. 160 to 170 was a good depth. White paddle and pickled sunshine fly down 75 on a rigger took a hit. Green & silver spin doc and meat on a braid diver down 60' had a real nice fish on. Got off when he tangled with the 200 Cu. 200 Cu+Pb with a Ace Hi glow green plug took a 10# coho. That setup has taken several coho on my last 3 trips. Hits were on a N/NE troll. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
      • 3
      • Like
  16. Nice box of fish! I just can't get my old white paddle and fly to fire. I've ended up taking it out of the spread part way through my last two trips. It hasn't taken a hit for me in four trips. Glad to hear they still work! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  17. Here's the chunky coho. Fish always look bigger when kids are holding them.
  18. Pentwater 8/16 PM, 3-4 We started setting in lines in 60 fow. Had good marks between 70 and 90 so stayed there for bit with no takers so we headed west base on a report from Muskegon of good fishing in 180 - 210 fow. Very few marks out there until we got to 170 fow. Had decent marks between 170 and 205. It's probably best to start with what didn't work: green meat rigs. We ran a lot of them because they were effective on our last trip. They never got touched. I started to switch them out by the end of the night. A green glow plug on a 200 Cu+Pb went twice. One was a chunky Coho (186 FOW, N troll 2.7@ball) and the other was a 10# steelhead (182 FOW, W troll, 2.5@ball). A moonshine green flounder pounder on a low diver took two. It was a mag diver with the O-ring set back 160' so it should be about 80' down. Had a real nice king get off after some head banging. The hit was in 196 FOW, S troll, 2.4@ball. Because the size of these fish, I've added two snubbers to my wire diver setups. We have seen some massive head banging this year. For this particular fish, we also kept the drag looser so his head bangs would pull some drag and we managed the runs with our thumb. His still got off when he was head banging. Hooks were super sharp too. I test and touched up everything before they went in the water. Just happens sometimes. This same setup also produced a, 18# king in 186 FOW, N troll, 2.7@ ball. It was a double with the chunky coho. Talked to a charted capt and he did well inside - at least that is what he told me. Maybe we should have worked that shallower water more.
  19. Family Farm & Home has them too. My wife got me one for Christmas last year. Works great.
  20. Way to go man! That is great for a 3 rod spread. Wow. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
  21. Nice solid kings. My son told be about that 41# king from Muskegon. Here's a picture.
  22. Love the sunset picture. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Great Lakes Fisherman Mobile App
×
×
  • Create New...