planer boards off of a mast

A friend of mine has planer boards to use off of a mast. I have never used this type of set up before. I have looked at some sites and I think I understand everything except this. How do you connect your clip to the planer board line in a way that doesn't allow them to slide? I notice most of the clips have a release on one end and a metal ring on the other end that clips on to the planer board line. Won't this slide them all together out near the planer board?

OK The distance your fishing line and release goes down the planer line is contolled by how much line your let out from your reel. Once your release has gone down to the area you want it just engage your reel and it's stuck there.

Maybe the answer is your fishing line does not attach to the board with a mast but on the line from the mast to the board with a shower ring and pincher release ...let out your lure to the desired distance clip the line and attach to the line from the mast to the board let out more line and it will slide down toward your board then you can let out your next line and attach, i usually will only run 2 lines or less on each of my boards.

you want the line to slide down the core this is how ya get your line out to where you want it at

how i do it is to

1 hook board to tow cord

2 let board out to desired distense

3 take your rod and let out the amount of line that you want to put out and hook your release to you line

4 hook the large ring {normaly a shower certain ring}that is on the release to the tow cord

5 now start to let the reel free spool till your release is in the proper place on the tow cored {if your setting 3 line to a board ,this would be the one that gos all the way to the board}

i normaly set 3 to each cord and make all of the even in length or space them out 25 ft in length with the out side line the longest

hope this helps

terry

Those moments are killers aren't they:D Last week buddy and I are out on SCR and the motor keeps bogging-running-bogging-running like it's thirsty for gas. Couldn't figure it out but she got us back to the launch OK. Get the boat pulled out and look at the gas tank that looks like a raisin. Forgot to open the vent!:fool: The worst one is tearing the boat apart going nuts as to why it won't start and then finally realizing the kill switch got knocked down. The first time was bad but the second time I felt:crazy:

Yeah there were a few times on my motorcycle when I would start it up and finally get to a stretch where I could open it up a little only to have it bog down and realize I had the gas still shut off. :eek: anyway I was laughing out loud about the planer boards.

One thing about running the big board, it's nice to have tether lines to the main lines to pull them in when hooking releases to the main line. I also use a boat hook for this purpose. The tethers can be hooked to the main line with a shower curtain hook, or a large line snap. I use to run big boards exclusively. When the small in line boards evolved, I switched to them for ease of use. The big boards still have their place, but for ease of use, especially with a small crew, the in lines rule.:)

And don't forget, instead of spending big money on those expensive line releases, you can buy 1 dozen of the plastic shower curtain rings for about $1.25, at the dollar stores.

Just snap it on the tow line, and attach the line with a rubber band.

Sure beats spending $15-20 per 4 pack of expensive releases.

• 1 month later...

Have not got my big boards wet in 2 years since I went to inlines. Did not even move the mast over to the new boat hope to sell it with old boat. Wanna buy a 6ft mast and 2 Riviera triple boards? The inlines rule as long as you keep the deepest line closest to the boat I run copper on closest than full core then half core on farthest out. Got several Coho last year and some Steelhead on the outside boards put the fish in the box and reset without messing up other lines.

Tight Lines

Have not got my big boards wet in 2 years since I went to inlines. Did not even move the mast over to the new boat hope to sell it with old boat. Wanna buy a 6ft mast and 2 Riviera triple boards? The inlines rule as long as you keep the deepest line closest to the boat I run copper on closest than full core then half core on farthest out. Got several Coho last year and some Steelhead on the outside boards put the fish in the box and reset without messing up other lines.

Tight Lines

Yes the inline boards have come a long way. I have been running them for the past 2 years for walleye and salmon. I have had some old die hard fishermen onboard who still swear by the big boards. Once I got the heck of the little boards I never looked back at the big ones. My hardtop has two S.S. eye bolts high and up front on both sides. These eyes is where I would fasten my planer line. There are some advantages to running the big boards, especially with rookies onboard. A lot of the charter captains still run them. I may try mine again in the early Spring for the mixed bag we get around here.