Fishing After Dark?

I was wondering if any of you fish for salmon after dark?The few time's i've fished the big lake it seemed all the boat's headed in shortly after dark.I was thinking about giveing it a try,is it worth it?Any advice would be a big help.thanx

I think I get more irritated with not being able to see anything i.e. setups, fish in the water, etc etc etc.

I mean its doable, and I've had fun fishing after dark, just as long as I'm not setting up lines, or netting fish...lol....

(I'll drive, less stress)!

Some guys swear by fishing late at night and early in the morning when it is still completely dark. Many of those anglers use the Moonshine Spoons or the Nitro Glow type Spoons. I personally have never seen a great advantage other than later on in the summer when the fish begin staging. It is always great fishing an hour before light and an hour after it gets dark. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

I did a night trip earlier this year and fished till 12:30am. It is hard to see things in the dark unless you have a bright moon, or your boat is equipped with some sort of light(s). I will be adding an arch with some flood lights over the winter.

You will need some glow in the dark baits. The Michigan Stinger Nitro series, and Moonshine Lures works well in the dark. Some spinners and flies also come in glow in the dark. I would not mess with running sliders on your rigger rods after dark. It is too much of a hassle to reset in the dark. You will need a way to charge your glow in the dark baits. A 1,000,000 candle power spot light will do the job. A set of cats eyes or a light on your head also comes in very handy.

We ran the same trolling speeds after dark that I do during the day.

Make sure all of your navigation lights are working correctly.

The next time I do a night fishing trip, I think I will do a morning one and be on the water between 3am - 4am instead of staying up late.

I fished before light 04:00am last August in Manistee. The main reason was to beat the crowds at the launch. I used anything that would glow and had a number of fish in the boat before getting all of the lines set. I installed flood lights on the boat to light up the deck. I also use a light that clips on the brim of my hat for closeup detail work. I also used a camara flash to charge up the lures and flashers. I will do it again this year.

i do this and love it ,but i do it when the fish are in front of the peirs to avoid the crowd im saying 3:00 am to 7:00 am its a blast but keep the spread small becouse REALLY BAD TANGELES happen aften if not paing close attentoin

I love the late and early Salmon bite. I use a lot of glow spoons, squid, flies, and flashers. I also have two 55W halogen lights, mounted on my hardtop, shining down on the fishing area. These lights make it real easy to net a fish and set lines. Running out my glow stuff is on the engine cover absorbing some of these rays. Before putting any glow stuff down they get zapped with a white LED converted mini mag light.

RocketLauncher.jpg

Just bear in mind the fish will be in shallower water, many times out of temp. Trim your spread to 6 rods, riggers, divers, and shorter cores way away from the boat. I bump up the size of the bait and speed at night as well.

I like the full moon period best. We have one coming up at the end of the month in case you want to give it a go.;)